Grain Mill Discount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAORGANY

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just FYI,

I was just on Home Brewing Cereal Killer Grain Mill for Crushing Grains and Barley and saw that they have their grain mill discounted down to $89 with free shipping. I won't ship till FEB, but this seams like a pretty good deal for anyone in the need for a mill. No I am not affiliated with them in anyway, have just been looking for a good low cost mill, so I have been looking around. Sounds like a good deal and wanted to pass along the info. All the best.

Good find....I'm in the market for a mill, and this is a good buy. My LHBS uses the same mill, and they seem to go through about 2 years of LHBS abuse before they need replaced, so I'm sure it will last forever for my home use. Thanks!

Is this a good mill or would a JSP MaltMill, Barley Crusher, or Grain Gobbler be better. I'd rather buy one that's going to last a while. (e.g. would a Barley Crusher (7lb hopper) for $140 be better and last longer than one of these).

~SB

Is this a good mill or would a JSP MaltMill, Barley Crusher, or Grain Gobbler be better. I'd rather buy one that's going to last a while. (e.g. would a Barley Crusher (7lb hopper) for $140 be better and last longer than one of these).

~SB

If you want a mill to last, the last mill I'd buy is a BC. I know there's a bunch of BC fanboys on this site. I, for one, wish I'd bought a different brand. YMMV.

Hugh_Jass said:
If you want a mill to last, the last mill I'd buy is a BC. I know there's a bunch of BC fanboys on this site. I, for one, wish I'd bought a different brand. YMMV.

What do you base that on? If you have a problem with your mill tell us about it.

I did tons of research here, and time after time, the consensus was the BC is a superior product. AHB is my LHBS and they do an outstanding job, but if you look at the reviews here, there have been issues with the crush quality of the CK.

I have my BC on backorder with AHB.

What do you base that on? If you have a problem with your mill tell us about it.

I did tons of research here, and time after time, the consensus was the BC is a superior product. AHB is my LHBS and they do an outstanding job, but if you look at the reviews here, there have been issues with the crush quality of the CK.

I have my BC on backorder with AHB.

I base it on my experiences with the unit. Google "barley crusher issues" and read the results.

Here's a few:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/i-have-been-having-problems-my-motorized-barley-crusher-149100/

Morebeer's Brew Chat • View topic - Barley Crusher issues

The Northern Brewer Homebrew Forum • View topic - Barley Crusher Problems

Barley Crusher issues... - BrewBoard

Problems With the Barleycrusher (+ updates) [Archive] - HomeBrewChatter.com Home Brew Forum - Community Driven Beer Homebrewing Forums

After a while, the slave roller does not spin. This causes the mill not to work correctly. I have to occasionally reach under the mill and spin the roller to get it to reengage. If I didn't have a conscience, I'd sell it. As it stands, when I get the money saved, I'll order a different mill and sell the barley crusher for scrap.

Thanks for the info...just ordered one!

I figured for under $90 with FREE shipping you can't go wrong. I am sure all mills have one issue or another but for under $100 I am willing to take the chance. When it gets here and I grind my grain I will place the results on here, all the best.

I have the same problem with my 2 inch gobbler that Hugh has with the BC. When it runs it's fast enough for the 5 gal brewer but then it doesn't catch the grain and the passive roller stops. Also it crushes to fine. Don't go for this cheaper mill.

Back