grain mill crush size/setting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is why you mashout, or at least raise the temperature of the sparge water. Raising the temperature of the grain bed to ~170°F makes it less viscous (more fluid).

See if John Palmer's explanation makes more sense:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter17.html

That's not what you said at all. You said to raise for a second infusion, which I didn't understand to be a mashout. If you're talking about a mashout, I'd agree although for a batch sparge it doesn't really help.

That's not what you said at all. You said to raise for a second infusion, which I didn't understand to be a mashout. If you're talking about a mashout, I'd agree although for a batch sparge it doesn't really help.
The point I was trying to make is that you need to raise the temperature. When or how isn't as critical. A second infusion isn't much different from a mash out.

The 'efficiency' problem that Golddiggie is experiencing may be due to the process and not how fine the crush is.

Back