Grain mill cost recovery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but I'll give you a couple of bags if you wanna pick it up... ;)

I dont have #1200 pounds anymore - I've already ridded myself of about 600 pounds. The other 600 though... My neighbor and brother will take a dent out of it, but I'll give some away.

Hey Russ any chance I can get delivery of 4.Haven't been doing to well sense my pacemaker and fall. Can't get around much without walker. Also having a problem with the wiring for the controller for my RIM's :mad:

Hey Russ any chance I can get delivery of 4.Haven't been doing to well sense my pacemaker and fall. Can't get around much without walker. Also having a problem with the wiring for the controller for my RIM's :mad:

Four?

I can give you a hand Pete...

Are you going to Alaska this summer? PM me - I'll give you a call over the weekend.

You need to go to a farm sale and buy a rolling mill. Usually last item sold. Cheap. I got one from a farmer for $70.00 Canadian. Rollers were new! Has feed roller and gate as well as a rock feature where rollers open up on a spring if you hit small rocks when doing corn etc at a farm,

I too use a Corona style mill. I asked for it for Xmas a few years ago and a while back added up the grain milled for a response on this site, it was over 700 pounds.

As to those that say you will not recoup the money? I think it depends on your definition or circumstances.
I have a LHBS that is not too far away and will mill the grains for free. But, when I buy a sack it costs less. When I buy sales online, I save.

And by limiting my trips to the LHBS I save on gasoline. This probably accounts for the largest savings!!!

Also I get the convenience of making a recipe on brewday and having the grains on hand ready to mill. I also get the same crush consistency every time.

I obtained about #1200 pounds of two row for.... drum roll.... FREE

I've been giving it away and brewing as fast as I can...

The mill was a no brainer..

If you need any help getting rid of any of that I pick up. And just live off 160th.

The way I see it is as an investment for a hobby, not a cost/return purchase. It is like anything else we buy in brewing because we just want it. If we justified every purchase such as a larger kettle and what not, then it wouldn't be as enjoyable. If you look at it like that, you never make any money back upgrading a kettle.

The way I see it is as an investment for a hobby, not a cost/return purchase. It is like anything else we buy in brewing because we just want it. If we justified every purchase such as a larger kettle and what not, then it wouldn't be as enjoyable. If you look at it like that, you never make any money back upgrading a kettle.

Agreed, yet getting a nice return on investment leaves a few bucks to put into something else to better the hobby. Even if you don't get much money back on upgrades, peace of mind is priceless.

Do what you can and don't sweat the easy stuff, it is a hobby.

One of the best benefits for me not going to the LHBS is the money I save. Every time I go there I buy stuff I didn't intend to. Having all your ingredients at home whenever you decide you want them prevents unnecessary extra purchases at the store.

I'm happy to save money, crush my own fresh grain, and support my LHBS. One of our local shops offers group buys, so we get sack grain from them at costs as low or lower than any online shops with no shipping costs. Thank you WWBC!

Bit late to the party, but if you BIAB, you won't get a great crush at your Local store, so you almost need your own. But it's built in as part of the deal.

Instead of the cost of a burner/HLT and Mash tun, I spent on a crusher. About the same price, but the "savings" are in time and equipment space.

At least that's how I justify it. :) Most LHBS will crush for free, and if I had a 3-Vessel system, I wouldn't bother with a crusher.

I recently bought a Kegco 3 roller mill that is very similar to the MM3. I have a close friend who owns a brewery and can buy 50lb sacks of 2 row at 20$ which he allows me to buy from him at the same price. 2 row at my LHBS is roughly 1.15$ per pound and there for I will recoup the amount for my grain mill in about 6 months with my brewing habits. My situation is unique but the LHBS would not let me crush outside grain on their mill which I understood.

cereal killer from homebrewing.org is a great mill so far. As far as cost recovery don't forget that you can improve your efficiency, as well as buying in bulk. I was pleasantly surprising how well it was made.

Yes, it was a little bit of convenience, but more so to be able to brew when I want to, for me as my local brew store is 70 miles away. My work schedule is just as hectic. I do not know how many times I have planned a brew day only to postpone it a week or two later. I do buy my base grains in bulk and usually have several different crystals and specialty grains on hand. This way I can go into the grain closet and pick out the grains to brew whenever.

I didn't read through the whole thread, but how are you guys not recovering the cost of your mill by buying grain in bulk?

Buying 2 row in bulk is almost half the cost of buying it by the pound at my LHBS (1.04/lb in bulk, 1.95/lb by the pound). So a savings of 89 cents per pound, multiplied by an average of 10lbs per 5 gallon batch is $8.90 in savings. My cereal killer mill was $100, so I will have recovered the cost in 11 batches or so.

Back