Grain Mill Attachment for Kitchenaid Mixers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NedStackey

Reaction score
Hey,

So my girlfriend just got one of those counter standing Kitchenaid mixers and I saw you can get a grain mill attachment. Has anyone used this for milling their grains for home brewing?

Thanks

I haven't but I worry it is for milling the grain into flour for baking, which would be too fine of a mill for brewing. The Corona style mills (like i have) were also designed to make flour, but they can be modified to have a wider gap to produce a good crush for brewing. I have no experience whether the kitchen aid ones can be modified.

Yeah you're totally right. Damn! I thought it would be a great way to start testing doing my own milling. Oh well, worth a shot. Thanks.

I haven't but I worry it is for milling the grain into flour for baking, which would be too fine of a mill for brewing. The Corona style mills (like i have) were also designed to make flour, but they can be modified to have a wider gap to produce a good crush for brewing. I have no experience whether the kitchen aid ones can be modified.

It has 12 different size settings. I'm not sure the range of the size. The box does say can be used for barley but that could be for making barley flour. Maybe I can contact Kitchenaid and get the range of crushing specs if I can't find them online.

Well, I heard back from kitchenaid, and they don't have the information on the mill crush size. Only way to know if it works would be too try it :-(

I have a kitchenaid mixer (from my grandmother, hobart era-back when these things were bullet proof), it's a beast but I don't think I would want to put that much stress on the unit to grind 10+ pounds of grain. Plus, I'm not sure but isn't the mill attachment like $129? For only a little more you could get a roller mill and a drill to run it from harbor freight. Not to shoot you down, I just wouldn't wanna piss off my girlfriend and get stuck buying a new $300 mixer because I burned out the motor.

However, if she already has the mill attachment and you are just trying to mill some specialty grains for an extract batch you'll probably be fine.

Good luck with what you decide to do.

Back