Grain mill and bulk grain or kegging system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dude ... congrats. You did the right thing. But... there's always a but... now you will be addicted to collecting those shiny cylinders called kegs...Trust me on that.

dude ... congrats. You did the right thing. But... there's always a but... now you will be addicted to collecting those shiny cylinders called kegs...Trust me on that.

Dude... You have just risen to the top of my list of scapegoats if this in fact happens to me... :mug:

Ill have a beer to that!
-Me

I'm probably the only one that will say this, and I don't have the perspective others do--most seem to have kegs. But grain mill and bulk grain. There's just something nice about cracking a bottle that you made, and I get bulk grain cheaper than individual buys--basically I'll use the money I save toward a portion of the kegging later I guess.

That, and I'm not restricted to when I brew with buying them in bulk. I buy bulk, what a month then just decide to go do it.

But if you have a bar, then that may mean you want a keg instead--I'm not there yet.

So, what's next after kegging? Grain mill or better wort chiller??? Deep freeze and temp control device for lagering?

I personally would go with a freezer/ temp controller before a mill. I also have the advantage that the LHBS has one I can use for free.

I personally would go with a freezer/ temp controller before a mill. I also have the advantage that the LHBS has one I can use for free.
The LHBS I go to has nice mills to use for free also. I was there yesterday and they lowered their hop prices to 2.30 per oz too!

My setup came today from Midwest. Delivered one day late but that was Fed Ex's fault. Everything was perfect. I got my CO2 filled this afternoon and being the impatient obsessive/compulsive person that I am decided that I couldn't wait for my two batches to finish before I started using my keg. My brewing buddy and I discussed it and decided that it wouldn't hurt TOO much to fill the keg with CO2 and carefully pour 12 22oz bottles of carbed pale ale into one of the kegs, put the keg in the snow for a few hours and start drinking. The guy that owns the CO2 place told me that he force carbs by putting his beer in the keg, hits it with 30 PSI and then shakes the keg for ten minutes, hits it again with more CO2 and shakes it another ten minutes. We did that as the IPA hadn't carbed in the bottle very well (which is why I didn't mind risking it) and now I'm drinking an ice cold draft beer! Screw bottles forever. As someone warned, I see myself becoming addicted to collecting those shiny silver cylinders.

Some might say that pouring the bottles in the keg was stupid but I'll tell you what, IT TASTES GOOD! Besides, it's only grain, hops, water, and yeast. I've got more laying around! The IPA recipe I do is a clone recipe of Ballantine XXX but I changed it up and use Maris Otter for the base malt and kick up the grain bill by about 15%. Next time I brew it I'm going to use Amarillo instead of Cascade. It will save me about eight bucks and probably taste and smell better.

I don't know, but whichever you get, I need to come to draper and try out the fruits of your labor :)

After looking at your Avatar plus where you live I had to ask, isn't Bang Bangs and Bier a No No in that state? Hey did ya get a chance to keep and bring that piece home with you? A nice addition to the the tall toy box. Highest respect to all our troops. Take care out there in the sand box.
CJ.............

After looking at your Avatar plus where you live I had to ask, isn't Bang Bangs and Bier a No No in that state? Hey did ya get a chance to keep and bring that piece home with you? A nice addition to the the tall toy box. Highest resprct to all our troops. Take care out there in the sand box.
CJ.............
Guns and beer go hand in hand in Utah. Didn't you know that???

Guns and beer go hand in hand in Utah. Didn't you know that???

Bier and guns with a few "hey watch this stunts" what can possibly go wrong? I agree but wasn't Utah a few no home brewing allowed states? I believe there are only 4 or 7 states left, wake up America. Utah the state where the "man of the cloth" is still rather strong there. I respect them as long as they respect me and not bother me about my personal beliefs. When they become a PITA and yes here in Kalifornia we have many that still ring your door bell even with a nice clean not offending sign below, "No solicitors, church related included" in big bright letters on a metal plaque. This is when I get a little bent out of shape. First i'll tell 'em to state their business in 10 words or less and rather quick, i'll listen to what they are wanting to drive into me then i'll tell them who I believe in, the all mighty "Creator of Suds" this with me inside the house in the dark behind the front screen door then i'll rack a round into Mr. Remington. This sound in the dark that gets your attention then request them to have a nice evening. Call me a S.O.B. it's about respect not jamming something onto me disturbing my evening. I had to chime in on thid one.

Bier and guns with a few "hey watch this stunts" what can possibly go wrong? I agree but wasn't Utah a few no home brewing allowed states? I believe there are only 4 or 7 states left, wake up America. Utah the state where the "man of the cloth" is still rather strong there. I respect them as long as they respect me and not bother me about my personal beliefs. When they become a PITA and yes here in Kalifornia we have many that still ring your door bell even with a nice clean not offending sign below, "No solicitors, church related included" in big bright letters on a metal plaque. This is when I get a little bent out of shape. First i'll tell 'em to state their business in 10 words or less and rather quick, i'll listen to what they are wanting to drive into me then i'll tell them who I believe in, the all mighty "Creator of Suds" this with me inside the house in the dark behind the front screen door then i'll rack a round into Mr. Remington. This sound in the dark that gets your attention then request them to have a nice evening. Call me a S.O.B. it's about respect not jamming something onto me disturbing my evening. I had to chime in on thid one.

What can I say? We cling to our guns, bibles, and kegs in my neighborhood. Incidently, I have decided that my next purchase needs to be a used fridge to store my kegs in. Hopefully I will have that procured before the end of the weekend. After that, I will be on a quest for some empty kegs to make keggles and will start designing my brewing sculpture.

Latest posts

Back