Grain got wet. Still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWulf

Reaction score
So my wife managed to soak some of my grain... I'm guessing for less than 15 minutes or so.

I managed to get it back and let it air dry but I was wondering if this is still usable? Normally I'd just toss it, but she grabbed a handful of a pre-mixed recipe which means about 12lbs of grain would go to waste as I wouldn't be able to easily compensate with the mixed grain.

Is this still good or should I toss the whole thing?

As long as it's dry and smells and tastes good, it's good. It will be more prone to mold now that it got wet. I'd use it as son s possible. Good excuse to brew this weekend!

Yeah, it's totally her fault that you have to drop everything and ignore other responsibilities so you can make up for her reckless behavior and salvage your grain by mashing it. And then boiling it. I just hope that adding hops will be the solution to her erratic and, frankly, disrespectful behavior.

For shame...

If you have a chalkboard you could make her write a hundred sentences.

It smells fine now that it's dry.

I am brewing right now but not that batch. Although I suppose that now I have an excuse to make the batch ASAP!

Thanks. If anyone has any differing opinions, please weigh in.

TheWulf;4974323[COLOR="Red" said:
]So my wife managed to soak some of my grain... I'm guessing for less than 15 minutes or so.
[/COLOR]
I managed to get it back and let it air dry but I was wondering if this is still usable? Normally I'd just toss it, but she grabbed a handful of a pre-mixed recipe which means about 12lbs of grain would go to waste as I wouldn't be able to easily compensate with the mixed grain.

Is this still good or should I toss the whole thing?

Have you considered replacing her yet?:D

How does that even happen? I mean. All jokes aside. I really don't see how that happens.

Haha.

Nope. But still. I want to understand(though I likely never will).

Haha.

Nope. But still. I want to understand (though I likely never will).
Want to understand women?! I bet that's what that white light is that everyone tells you to go to as you're dying. Once you learn the secret, it's too late to go back with the info.

Want to understand women?! I bet that's what that white light is that everyone tells you to go to as you're dying. Once you learn the secret, it's too late to go back with the info.

Pretty much this. I've stopped trying to make sense of it.

If you're really neurotic about it and you can't brew the batch in the near future there are several things you can do.

1. You can freeze it, just be sure to seal it inside something first. This will also kill any bugs (literally bugs, not bacteria) that may be in your base grain such as Weevils for example.
  2. You can dry it out more fully in the oven. This is still a risk and there is a good chance it'll reduce your enzyme potential but if you do it well you shouldn't have issue. It's still a risk as you have no way to tell the moisture content so using it within the next couple months isn't a bad idea in any event and you should probably give it a week or two before use after drying in the oven.

If you dry it in the oven put it in a somewhat shallow evenly spread out layer on a cookie sheet no deeper than the depth of the cookie sheet used. Put it in an oven on the lowest setting you've got. Ideally 150 if you've got it but if you're limited to 170 or 200, you can usually leave the door cracked open and lose 15-30% of the selected temperature (dropping you down to ~136-185 degrees). A fan is helpful as well. The downside to this is the higher the temp the more enzymes you're going to kill, the upside is it'll give you a unique flavor to your kit and possibly even make it a tiny bit sweeter depending on how much water the grains actually absorbed. The guy over at Barleypop heavily advocates a week or two rest afterwards but I'll admit I don't always abide by that as I like the taste of a fresh convection baked amber grain in my beer.

If you're really neurotic about it and you can't brew the batch in the near future there are several things you can do.

1. You can freeze it, just be sure to seal it inside something first. This will also kill any bugs (literally bugs, not bacteria) that may be in your base grain such as Weevils for example.
  2. You can dry it out more fully in the oven. This is still a risk and there is a good chance it'll reduce your enzyme potential but if you do it well you shouldn't have issue. It's still a risk as you have no way to tell the moisture content so using it within the next couple months isn't a bad idea in any event and you should probably give it a week or two before use after drying in the oven.

If you dry it in the oven put it in a somewhat shallow evenly spread out layer on a cookie sheet no deeper than the depth of the cookie sheet used. Put it in an oven on the lowest setting you've got. Ideally 150 if you've got it but if you're limited to 170 or 200, you can usually leave the door cracked open and lose 15-30% of the selected temperature (dropping you down to ~136-185 degrees). A fan is helpful as well. The downside to this is the higher the temp the more enzymes you're going to kill, the upside is it'll give you a unique flavor to your kit and possibly even make it a tiny bit sweeter depending on how much water the grains actually absorbed. The guy over at Barleypop heavily advocates a week or two rest afterwards but I'll admit I don't always abide by that as I like the taste of a fresh convection baked amber grain in my beer.

Thanks! I ended up doing this and it seems to have dried out well. I'll brew it in the next few weeks and we'll see what happens. My guess is it'll still make beer.

To be safe if you cooked it long it might be a good idea to keep a small amount of high enzyme grain for insurance. I keep a pound vacuum sealed just in case and have a bottle of amalayze<sp> just in case. I've yet to need it or a longer mash tho as tested with iodine for conversion.

Back