Grain crusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernBrew

Reaction score
Hi guys. Been wondering if i should get my own grain crusher. The neighbourhood store can do it for me(for a price) but a buddy of mine was complaining that they crush it too fine. Is that a problem or is finer better? I dont mean flour fine but maybe 3-4 mm granules.
Is there any chemical difference between course and fine or is it only the concern that grain will escape the mash bag?

If you do BIAB you want it as fine as possible, if you do a traditional mashing technique too fine can be a real problem. With batch sparging I think you can get a stuck sparge. With fly sparging you can definitely get a stuck sparge. Also, and this is mostly a risk with fly sparging, if the husks are too shredded you increase the risk of tannin extraction in the final runnings.

I got my own crusher mainly since I wanted to be able to control the crush and keep consistency. You can also adjust if needed if you are doing BIAB vs. batch sparging, etc. However, make sure you get a good crusher or you might be better off without one. I got the barley crusher and it works great.

I have the Barley Crusher grain mill & keep it set at the factory .039". Great crush for my pb/pm biab beers. Very consistent crush that gets me higher OG's. I found I don't need a fine crush to get better efficiency. I can get a 1.061 OG against 1.046 in a recipe. Not much floury stuff at all.

I'll go against the grain (see what I did there) and recommend a Cereal Killer. Mine has been fantastic.

Back