Grain crush - VIDEO!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been seeing a lot of threads on grain crush lately, so I put together a short video of my grain mill in action. I hope you guys find it informative. Enjoy!

[YOUTUBE]FXB-sEfZlkI[/YOUTUBE]

Sweet job! You are my Hero Tim Allen! :D

You need to fly out to Austin in your F-111 and help me build the brew hut. :)

Yuri_Rage said:
About 600 RPM. The gearmotor turns at 175, and I have a little less than a 4:1 ratio on the pulleys.
Do you find that works better for you than at the slower speed? I geared my Crankandstein down to around 140 RPM.

I run my Crankenstein at 155 and fill the hopper, a minute later its done.

Yuri_Rage said:
I've run it as fast as 2,000. Honestly, I don't see much of a difference in crush regardless of speed.
That's reassuring. I've got this really cheap single-speed corded drill that's around 1200RPM (no load) that I've been hoping to use for all my grinding needs, instead of risking busticating my nice cordless drill, and without having to buy a variable-speed corded drill which I don't otherwise need. It seemed to work okay when I did my first batch with the new mill, but I don't have much to compare it to yet either.

Awesome, Yuri! I love reading about your DIY projects. Seeing them in action is even better.

Back