Grain Bill to Highlight Yeast Strain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr0506

Reaction score
Hey all!

I've been gifted this nifty kit that claims it will allow me to catch some natural yeast from my area to use in a batch of homebrew:

http://bootlegbiology.com/backyard-yeast-wrangling-tool-kit/

Therefore I am looking to make a grain bill that will be pretty mild so that I can really taste the flavors imparted by my captured yeast. I'm wondering if I should stick to a 100% two-row base malt bill as there wouldn't be any specialy malts to impart their flavors. I'm wondering if this is doable with 9# of base malt or if there would be an issue with that thinking.

As far as hops I would be looking at a 1oz addition right at the beginning of a 60 minute boil, maybe a centennial or something else around that 11% alpha acid mark.

What are your thoughts on the grain bill? Thanks!

I would stick to base malt, maybe a 50/50 split between pale and pilsner malt. Bittering hops only for 20-25 IBUs. That's it. Catch the right yeast and you should have a nice pale ale.

Latest posts

Back