Grain bill for Belgian Golden Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloppybones

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Im about to brew my first Golden Strong Ale, but I am having some trouble with the grain bill. My recipe is for a 10 gallon batch. I plan on sharing with my buddies because I'm just so nice. I would really like a complex malt bill for this recipe. Here is what I have so far:

24 lb Belgian Pilsner 2 Row
2 lb Torrified Wheat
12 oz Caravienne Malt
12 oz Munich 10L
8 oz Aromatic Malt
4 oz Biscuit Malt
2.4 oz Caramunich Malt
1.6 oz Special B

What do you guys think?

A golden strong like duvel? Cause thats just pils and 30% sugar. Really id focus on the yeast and fermentation. Thats what is the most important. My conception of the style is dry, with interesting fruity/spicy esters, and very quaffable, especially for its alcohol percentage.

With the malt bill you have: what do you expect from the torrified wheat? If you have head retention problems with a 1.080+ beer, you have process problems.

You have 3 different crystal malts, too much crystal is going to add sweetness and mouthfeel, in a big belgian with lots of esters that can be syrupy and cloying. Its only 4% or so in total, sure, But I dont see it improving the beer.

I dont know if you will taste 4 oz of biscuit in there. It cant hurt, I suppose. Same with 2-3% munich.

A golden strong like duvel? Cause thats just pils and 30% sugar. Really id focus on the yeast and fermentation. Thats what is the most important. My conception of the style is dry, with interesting fruity/spicy esters, and very quaffable, especially for its alcohol percentage.

With the malt bill you have: what do you expect from the torrified wheat? If you have head retention problems with a 1.080+ beer, you have process problems.

You have 3 different crystal malts, too much crystal is going to add sweetness and mouthfeel, in a big belgian with lots of esters that can be syrupy and cloying. Its only 4% or so in total, sure, But I dont see it improving the beer.

I dont know if you will taste 4 oz of biscuit in there. It cant hurt, I suppose. Same with 2-3% munich.

Yeah I was trying to do something different with it. So you think I should ditch the special B and Caramunich? Maybe up the biscuit just a tad? As for the torrified wheat, it was just an ingredient I saw on a lot of different Golden Ale recipes.

Yeah, id ditch the crystal. If you want to do something different, id do something like 10% munich, and 4% biscuit. That will give you a good malt backbone, along with a good continental pils malt. Id really consider replacing a portion of the base malt with sugar (and you could add complexity and fruitiness with the type of sugar/syrup you use) to dry it out, really id recommend that for any belgian over 1.060.

Just out of curiosity............not to hijack this thread............but............
Where would I find a recipe for Duvel..... and more specifically what yeast would I use.

Back