Grain bag for pellet hops vs spider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithchar526

Reaction score
Ok so I get there is all types of options for dealing with hop filtering.

The top things I see are

1. No filtering just whirlpool some left over junk could be good, but if using a valve/tubing it could get clogged. Possibly more kettle cleaning needed.

2. Stainless steel hop spider basket that clips on the side.

3. Tri-pod style hop spider using a hop bag

I was going to go with a homemade tri-pod style and a bag but why couldn’t I just use the same style bag I would use for grain and not mess with a spider. Is it just to keep bag off the bottom of the kettle?

I know this topic is pretty beat up. Option 1 sounds great if I’m not going to get clogged valve/tubing. I’ll likely try them all at some point but just curious as why not kettle size bag so you get full hop utilization and less mess down the road.

the only downside i see to using a grain bag for hops is that you'd prolly wanna own 2 bags and you'd need a false bottom.

So to keep bag off the bottom of kettle a false bottom would resolve that but at point a tripod hop spider would be less to clean and cheaper but I could see the bag cleaning being a annoying and buying replacement bags when needed.

I really like the idea of the clip on hop spiders but that topic on hop utilization I guess is the only concern there. If the general consensus is that it’s not that big of a concern as long as you don’t stuff it full I like that option the best since it stainless and reusable

I generally use a hop sock. But last time I just threw the pellets in with the boil, then strained them and most of the hot and cold break out with a 5 gallon paint strainer bag.

Latest posts

Back