Graff problem//and THNX HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeraphX117

Reaction score
First I would like to thank everyone at HBT! Without the members here I would never have started this....obsession. I have been to other forums and found that the members here truly helpful, insightful, and you aren't beer snobs. Thnx.

Now on to business

I started an AG Graff yesterday the mash temp was way too low (I neglected to calculate for headspace in my MLT). I basically mashed at 148 for about an hour and a half. That fact combined with all of the simple sugars in the apple juice as well as the 2 lbs of brown sugar I put in..leads to a question..Do you think my beer is going to be way too dry? Is it going to be the cider/beer I was looking for or just become an Apfelwine?

Recipe: 5 gallon batch

4.5# German Light Munich
.5# crystal 120
2.oz torrified wheat
2lbs brown sugar
3 gallons of store bought apple juice at 1.046sg
.5 oz Sterling at 30min

2 gallon mash..1.5 sparge

mashed at ~148 (supposed to be 155/56)

batch sparge

boiled 1 hour -ended with 2.5 gallons

OG 1.071 @ 86% brewhouse

s-05 yeast- fermenting at 68 degrees (i live in a desert)

think it will be too dry? Can I add anything to help..if it does turn out very low FG?

Grain, hops, and ale yeast means you will not have made apfelwein no matter what you have made.

Your wort is going to ferment dryer at 148 than it would have at 155 for sure.

I can't speak to what it will end up as, having never tried to water a beer down with fermented apple juice.

If you want to you could kill off the yeast and then back sweeten. My wife back sweetens her ciders with concentrated apple juice. Not sure how that would taste with hops and grain involved.

It may end up being pretty dry, but you could add a non fermentable sugar before you bottle it.

ya know it will never be an apfelwein..i was just talking about the taste. I'm not really watering down per se...just experimenting with Graff. I'll let ya know how it turns out. I just want to avoid making a cidery cider (if that makes any sense) i want to try and make it malty. Thnx for the reply!

Back