Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed up my first batch of this about 2 weeks ago. I did 4 gallons with 3 gallons unfilterred organic apple juice. It's still in the primary but I snuck some out with the thief over the last weekend and it tasted pretty nice.

I have a question. Where did the name Graff come from. Did Brandon O come up with the name, or is it the proper name for such a beverage?

I believe the name came from a Steven King novel for a malted cider beverage....I think. :)

Thanx for the link on the name. That is pretty cool.

I just kegged my Graff up tonight. Damn Notty went a little crazy on it and took it from 1.056 down to 1.003. 6.9% ABV. I put about 1/4 tsp fermaid K in the boil and it must have gotten the Notty all charged up. I was hoping for an FG more around 1.006 or so. I do think it has a nice flavor, just a bit dry and tart. I used Whole Foods organic apple juice mixed with Trader Joes Gravenstein apple juice. I may try a less attenuative ale yeast on the next go around.

Definitely looking to try this, but I have two questions before I start.

1. Due to the malt sugars, did anyone's cider produce a Kraeusen

2. Has anyone tried an oaked version of this? I'm thinking about splitting the batch after primary to try an oaked version, unless the wise members of HBT advise against it

I definitely had Krausen for about 5-6 days. Mine sat in my ferm chamber @68 degrees for 2 weeks. It is now sitting for another 2 weeks at @55 and I will cold crash it @33 for the last 3 days.

I think an oaked version of this might be good, but I'd have to try the original first...

Mine also had Krausen for the first week or so. I have left mine in a 62 degree room, Sunday will have been 2 weeks. I plan to leave it for another 3 or so days then bottle.

My LHBS did not have torrified wheat, well at least not in small amounts. I just didn't know how often i would use it, so i got some carapils in place of it. Hoping it turns out good!!

We used 1.5 cups of light DME for our ~5 gal batch. I used "Simply Apple" apple juice, but people on here have used the cheapest cheap juice and it turned out fine.

HOWEVER, I feel like our bottles are not carbonating and I have a hypothesis. I know that you don't make starters with refined sugar because after a few generations of eating simple and easy to process sugars like glucose and fructose, yeast lose the ability to process maltose. So, after we fermented the apple juice we put in 1.5 cups light DME (which is what we typically do for any 5 gal batch fermented to completion) but I don't think the yeasties are biting, perhaps due to this loss of the ability to ferment maltose. Any opinions? Similar experiences?

If I may make a suggestion for priming - use more apple juice to prime instead of DME. I use 1.5 cups of sugar in a pint of water, so check the "serving size" for the mass of sugar per unit apple juice serving and calculate whatever is appropriate. Or, use refined sugar for your priming sugar. I think these will be safer options, and you don't really have to worry about picking up some sort of "cidery" flavor from the sugar.

So I made a variation of this. It is still pretty tart, does that go away? Whats the sweet spot on age with something like this?

The batch I made wasn't tart at all - very sweet in fact - not surprised with the malt. Not really my kind of drink to be honest :( I won't be making another batch!

With regard to the tart taste dissipating - I suppose it should, but it would probably take a at least 6 months.

I have been enjoying my 5 gallons. My first bottle was 6 weeks from pitching yeast and tastes great!!

brewed my second batch a few weeks ago only thing i did different was i used s-04 and secondaried on oak.will be tasting this friday.who else has oaked this and how did it come out?

Those of you have made graff before, did you make a starter for your yeast? I'm planning on using a a tube of WLP001 for my 5 batch. I'll be following the original recipe except for the torrified wheat. Anyone have some input on this?

I used a starter -- from what I've gathered, a starter wont hurt anything.

I am waiting on my bottles to be delivered, then I'm bottling mine up! Oh, I guess I need to run to a LHBS and pick up some corn sugar so I can prime it ... or just use some light DME

I am thinking about trying this - Has anyone had issues with the 2 week fermentation? Also, has anyone transferred this to a secondary during that time? I've made a habit of transferring all of my brews to secondaries after 5-6 days and then going for the rest of the suggested fermentation time. Just curious if anyone has tried racking this or had any issues.

Thanks

Those of you have made graff before, did you make a starter for your yeast? I'm planning on using a a tube of WLP001 for my 5 batch. I'll be following the original recipe except for the torrified wheat. Anyone have some input on this?

I couldn't get the torrified wheat either, but I believe this is for head retention. I used carapils instead, which also adds body and helps head retention.

OK, I'm making my own version of Graff today.

4 gal of apple juice
.5 oz. Mt Hood hops (5.5% AA)
2lbs amber malt extract (didn't want to fool with dme). Go with what I know
.50lbs Crystal 60L (probably should have gotten 120L since my apple juice is cheap...too late now)
I skipped the torrified wheat.

I'll post some pics and tell you how things went

Went to local orchard/winery to buy fresh unfiltered apple cider to use in this recipe. I have all the other ingredients. I noticed on the label that the cider was UV treated and it said "not more than 1/10 of 1% of potassium sorbate add as preservative". I assume this will not allow me to use it as I remember the pot sorbate will kill the yeast. Is that correct? As a side note it was $6.50 a gallon. Tasted a sample.... It was damn good. Am I correct in thinking that it won't ferment?

I personally dont know, you could take a glass full and add some sugar and yeast and see what happens

I'm sipping on some that is about half a year old right now.
Check out the lace!

Absolutely fantastic!

The pic is a little pixel-ated, but it is around 16psi@ 38 degrees (carbed)

I've done a couple batches of Mr B. (and 1 Coopers) and wanted to start into partial grain. I figured that this would be a good way to start (even though it's cider and not beer). I've got 5 gals. fermenting away at about 70F. Any suggestions for bottling? My beer has been bottled in 16 oz, twist offs. That's an awful lot of bottles. SWIMBO is already complaining about the 50 pts. and 30 ltrs. in the basement. I'm hoping once she tastes the Graff she'll relax a little.

I'm not giving up on this yet, but I'm wondering if cider is going to be my illusive problem. That and mead. I just can't seem to make it taste decent, mine always tastes wine-y and hot. Like I might as well drink hooch. :eek:

I still have 1 22oz and 1 half Liter left from my batch 11 Months ago. Its just getting better, makes me not want to even open up the last ones. Oh, actually thats 2 22oz bottles left. I just remembered I hid one in my parents wine cellar to be opened "someday" later. Good thing its safe 4000 miles away from me.

Anyone see a problem with leaving this in primary for more than 2 weeks. I really have the urge to brew something but won't have enough bottles ready (due to brewing 3 other batches of beer) available until about 3-5 weeks. Or would it be best to wait and only leave it in for 2 weeks like the recipe calls for?

Cheers

Go for it! Mines been in primary for a while now, over a month I think? Bottling today. Going to try using just priming sugar from Brewmasters Warehouse -- hope it suffices

Best of luck ctufano on your first batch

For the record I decided to use just store bought apple juice and will continue my search for a local orchard to get fresh pressed cider later. Worst case scenerio I have to turn around and make another batch just as soon as I bottle the first batch??

Cheers

Thanks man -- ya I bought Tree Top apple juice and a few 100% from walmart (they didnt have enough of the one)

I havent tried a sample yet, or checked gravity, but I'm willing to be its finished fermenting out after 5 weeks :p

I will post on my OG and FG tonight when I bottle, as well as a taste analysis on it bein flat (but cool! i cold crashed for a week now)

Just brewed my 1st batch last nite.

4 Gallons "Midwest Family Fare" apple juice

Followed the recipe on grains and DME

Hops: 0.5 oz Hallertau

Yeast: Wyeast 1056 American Ale (2nd generation washed from previous batch)

OG: 1.062

Can't wait to try this one, sample tasted great.

Cheers

Anyone every try this using Peach cider? I like mine on the sweet side and plan on racking to secondary over peach puree. The peach cider is fresh with 1.035 OG so the additional DME in your recipe should bring it to a nice malty body.

When I make cider it tends to ferment out very dry and much of the apple flavor is stripped out of it. (That is if I don't cold crash it) I would like to make this but I am wondering if there is much apple flavor in graf?

I haven't tasted a carbed bottle yet, but the sample while i was bottling reminds me of Hornsby's hard apple cider. There was still apple flavor present in mine.

My Graff came out a wee bit dry, however SWMBO loves it. She says its like Magners. I personally don't like cider much, so I am letting her drink it. In fact, it was brewed for her. I will say it has a nice head, is slightly malty and is not 'bad'. I did cold crash it @ 35 for 5 days, however it didn't clear very well. Even after sitting in the keg for a few days, it still isn't overly clear. However, there is a possibility I need to get more out before all the last remaining sediment is gone.:fro:

Back