Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this sound right for one gallon?

1.5oz crystal 120L
5 grams torrified wheat
1/2 lb amber
1/2 lb light
2 grams hops

Have any of you just done this in a carboy? I made a batch up last night and have it in a 5 Gal carboy. This morning I have about a 1" krausen, I rigged a blow off tube, but all I have is a half inch tube. I would say I have about 4 inches until it hits the top of the bottle. Should I move this to my primary bucket?

I used a Carboy, but only made 3.5 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy. Plenty of headspace. I did use a Blowoff tube and it sounded like a drum beating as it bubbled into the 1 gal jug of sanitizer.

Well I guess I will see how things go when I get home from work. I still have some space in there, but wow is this thing going to town. I am thinking maybe I should have used a 6 gal or my primary bucket... oh well lessons learned!

EDIT: Starting SG 1.062, for any who may be interested. I followed the recipe exactly except my LHBS did not have torrified wheat, so none of that is in there and I used 3% AA Liberty Pellet Hops.

On a side note this stuff is chuggable when mixed with about 1/4 Simply Apple Apple juice before drinking.

To those adding 4 gals of AJ to 1gal of leftover ale from another batch:

Wouldn't this be too hoppy? The original beer probably used a lot of hops compared to the recipe for this beverage. Any comments on this?

Now on the note of not having to read 51 pages, I should mix the steep water and sparge water, bring that to a boil with the DME, then add the hops to all that?

I'd rather ask then assume.. :)

Directions for brewing

Steep the 60L and torrified wheat in .75 gallons of water @ 155 degrees for 30 mins.
Sparge with .25 gallons 170 degree water and throw away grains.
Add DME and bring to a boil.
Add hops when boiling starts and boil for 30 mins.

Nocturnus,

Keeping in mind this was my first try at this, but from what I read and understood.

I steeped the grains for 30 mins, then lifted the grains above the pot and poured the sparge water over the grains so the water fell into the steep pot, then discarded the grains. I then stirred in my DME, brought the temp up to a boil and added the hops. I let that boil for 30 mins, then placed it in the freezer.

I had a big round strainer with screen type material. I just barely lifted the grains above the water, took the pot with 170 degree water and poured it over the grains and let the water run out. Only needed to hands!

This might be a really dumb question, but I have only made wine and never did a wort.

After boiling all the hops for 30 mins do I need to strain it?

Well I forgot to buy the bags. I used a wire mesh strainer but some stuff was still in the wort. Having never brewed beer, I did not strain the hops, is that a problem?

I did a little googling and some say leave it, it will impart flavor and sink to the bottom, others said strain it out....

I didn't see anything in the original recipe about straining the wort, so I left the hops in...

THis morning I already had about 1 inch krausen, so I don't know if anyhting can be done about the hops now!!

Well I forgot to buy the bags. I used a wire mesh strainer but some stuff was still in the wort. Having never brewed beer, I did not strain the hops, is that a problem?

I did a little googling and some say leave it, it will impart flavor and sink to the bottom, others said strain it out....

I didn't see anything in the original recipe about straining the wort, so I left the hops in...

THis morning I already had about 1 inch krausen, so I don't know if anyhting can be done about the hops now!!

Usually you strain as much out as you can. If there's a little gunk left in there, it's no be deal, but you *do* generally want to get out as much as you can (because yes, they will impart mroe flavor if left in). Espceially for this brew, since you're trying to just baaarely impart a touch of hoppiness, you really would have wanted to get that out of there. There's not really anything you can do about it now -- chalk it up to a learning experience. And for all we know, it could still come out tasting perfect, so don't worry. Relax, have a homebrew :)

Well yep, I guess we all experience the learning curve. Hopefully it won't be to bad, as I used less than .5 oz and only 3 % AA.

Thanks for the clarification!!!

Well yep, I guess we all experience the learning curve. Hopefully it won't be to bad, as I used less than .5 oz and only 3 % AA.

Thanks for the clarification!!!

I have never strained my hops out. I have a hop bag contraption, but I don't ever use it. By the time you transfer the wort out of the primary, all of the junk will have sunk to the bottom and be in the yeast cake. Just be careful not to disturb it when siphoning.

J

Should start a new thread : How many people ruined marriages while drunk on Brandon Os Graff

Cause Ill Lead :)

Should start a new thread : How many people ruined marriages while drunk on Brandon Os Graff

Cause Ill Lead :)

Maybe you should start a thread on how to not ruin your marriage, but still stay drunk on Brandon O's Graff.

Maybe you should start a thread on how to not ruin your marriage, but still stay drunk on Brandon O's Graff.

If I catch my half German SWMBO already inebriated, I half to walk on egg shells. Tonight I kegged this Graff (never had an Apple wine or Apple beer). This stuff is crazy good! SWMBO had a second helping, my 21 year old, who never drinks beer, (must favor his mother's side) had a cup. Not carbonated, I simmered some and dropped a cinnamon stick, with powdered sugar, and brown sugar. While it was simmering, that alcohol was VERY prevalent! Added a touch (two shots for three mugs) of Bicardi Gold rum. Very, Very tasty. I used what was on hand, and was using Brandon O's recipe more like a guide. I say again very good, waiting for the carbonation now.

Thanks Brandon, I will make sure next time I have the right ingredients.:mug:

I have never strained my hops out. I have a hop bag contraption, but I don't ever use it. By the time you transfer the wort out of the primary, all of the junk will have sunk to the bottom and be in the yeast cake. Just be careful not to disturb it when siphoning.

J

Halfpint,

Thanks for the info. I did a google search and found some leave it in and some strain it. So at this point I am not to worried about it! I read the same thing as you said, it will sink to the bottom. How long do you leave your Graff in the primary and secondary? Also what do you use to top it up?

Halfpint,

Thanks for the info. I did a google search and found some leave it in and some strain it. So at this point I am not to worried about it! I read the same thing as you said, it will sink to the bottom. How long do you leave your Graff in the primary and secondary? Also what do you use to top it up?

I left mine in primary for 2.5 weeks. I usually take the number of days that it takes for the krausen to fall, times two. Then a hydrometer reading to see if I am where I need to be and then keg. No need to mess with a secondary, just go right to bottling or kegging.

Eric

started mine today
used
Musslemans apple cider 4 gal
.5 lb Crystal 120L
1 oz Cara Pils
2 lb amber DME
.5 oz williamette hopps 4.5%aa
s-04 yeast

0G 62 degrees 1.062

Side note: for anyone who cares...

After a hard days work, and three cups o Brandon's Graff-a-like (recipe was not followed perfectly), I woke up and had a sip of the cold graff that I had simmered two hours earlier(We call it Sake-Waso). Stone cold it was pretty good! Still waiting for the carbonation.

Update12-17-9 1AM: This stuff is potent! Not so much the smell and taste of Saki like last night, but kicks a big butt like mine around. Should be a warning on the glass! Brandon I see a hop that was closer to 3% would have been better, I like it still, and think that it will tone down (it is only the second day of carbing. 30psi for twenty four hours, then 12psi. I give it two more days and serving pressure. Pretty good, next time will chill the hops down. As I am drinking it, I am steeping, and preparing a ten gallon batch of New Castle clone. I will have to pace myself on this Graff.

Update 12-17-9 5AM: Eight pints later....
Been hickuping for hours, SWMBO has every right to be upset this time. I cleaned every pot, and of course (my shiiiiiftt, funnels, hoses, racking canes...you know). Dad gum Graff, might not be right, but so addictive! Head.....OK...brain is swimming. I don't know if I am suposed to have the sour apple thing going on, but I DO like the flavor. Way too much alcohol for the beginner ( I am appreciating that I am a pro at this point ). Taking a little time to try and reason....."Is the New Castle all it can be?"

Kegged mine today! I'm going the priming route, so still a couple weeks till I can drink it. My FG was around 1.011 but didn't take a OG so who knows the abv. I drank the hydro sample and it was mighty fine. Apples, kinda tart, kinda sweet. I'm really looking forward to the carbed version and a couple weeks of aging on this bad boy. Has some excellent potential!

Wrote a little about it: http://tuesdaypints.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the excellent recipe.

OK fermenter locks are in place, when I woke up, sitting in my computer chair, I guess that New Castle will be alright. That Graff is strong! Had about 10 pints! no hangover! Of course I might still be buzzed. going back to bed for an hour....Got to go to work a little after noon. Stopped hickupping...good thing.

Thanks for posting Capa... that is what mine is tart and sweet. Simmering with a cinnamon stick and a little brown suger/powdered sugar........SAKI_WASO!

Christmasy!

OK fermenter locks are in place, when I woke up, sitting in my comuter chair, I guess that New Castle will be alright. That Graff is strong! Had about 10 pints! no hangover! Of course I might still be buzzed. going back to bed for an hour....Got to go to work a little after noon. Stopped hickupping...good thing.

Thanks for posting Capa... that is what mine is tart and sweet. Simmering with a cinnamon stick and a little brown suger/powdered sugar........SAKI_WASO!

Christmasy!

Dude, I haven't drank in a week until last night. Needless to say, I had a pint of this and a pint of my 8% robust porter. I have a damn hangover! WTF.

Its pretty yummy.
Photo_on_2009-12-17_at_19_25.jpg

Dude, I haven't drank in a week until last night. Needless to say, I had a pint of this and a pint of my 8% robust porter. I have a damn hangover! WTF.

I don't know what to tell you Rookie:D Practice Practice Practice:tank:

Seriously though, I used to get hangovers like that when I mixed any two beers. Ever since I have home brewed I can drink several different ones, store bought or Home Brew...No prob:ban:

I don't know... I find that the longer I've been drinking, the more easily I get hungover. I too find I feel hungover the day after I've had only a few drinks.

Also if I drink a lot, I always plan it out....

2 tricks is :

Before you start a night of drinking, get something greasy in you (I used to go Jack in the Box tacos, not now, since I can't stand them any more).

And, if you do a LOT of drinking, make sure you down a LOT of water before calling it a night.

Brandon! back to the topic....Third day and this Graff melded so fine. the sourness has subsided to a blessing, and the smoothness has arrived with vigor. I sure am glad I did 10 gallons. :rockin:

Christmas party I am always thanked for the brisket or Jalapeno poppers or whatever. This year I am also bringing what is left in the first keg of Graff, and a full 5 gallons of RUSHED (hate to do it, but pipeline is low) New Castle Brown Ale.

Thus far, I have only subjected myself and some other Homebrewing colleagues to my creations. Last night I brought 4 bottles of Graff, 4 bottles of Apfelwein, 2 bottles of Mugwort Ale and 2 bottles of my 3 Herb Gruit Ale to a Christmas party.. Everything disappeared to the last drop and people wanted MORE! The GRAFF was especially popular. People who swore they hated cider loved it! People who loved cider loved it. People who were mainly beer drinkers loved it.

Nothing says JOB WELL DONE to a homebrewer than seeing the stuff disappear down the gullets of friends!

(crossposting similar message to Apfelwein thread as well..)

This stuff has been a big hit the past couple of days. I've had some family over at the house and almost everyone says they like this a lot.

Kegged and carbonated this (using DME) 4 days ago. took my first sample today. Carbonation is coming along nicely. While the temp is way too warm for proper drinking it has a nice flavor. It's tart but still not overly so. Lightly sweet, rather dry, and appley. I like it. It tastes rather young yet so I'm not giving a final judgement just yet, but I have high hopes after tasting it tonight.

I'll be giving this a try after Christmas probably. It sounds very similar to the caramel apple cider that I've tried (unsuccessfully) to make twice. I think the main problem that I had was that after steeping my crystal, I didn't boil...and therefore both batches eventually got lactic infections (nothing visible, but they kept getting increasingly sour and acetic.) I also used Mott's in both of them, and I see that a few here mentioned that even their Graff was sour after using Mott's- any recommendation for off the shelf juice that may work out better? I know a lot use Tree Top, but it isn't sold in my area. (That being said, I used Mott's for Apfelwein once, and it came out tasting like its normal dry wine taste, not sour, so...)

The other things I can think of would be to add some lactose while bottling (I have a pound of it on hand) to cut down on potential sourness/tartness, and for an extra kick of apple flavor, use apple juice concentrate to prime with instead of sugar. I'm thinking one can would be sufficient- has anyone tried that?

I made my first attempt at a Graff yesterday in a 1 gallon amount. Having never made any sort of extract brew before, and having not received much helpful advice from my LHBS, I fear I may have screwed up my brew. I used 49-64 Lovibond Crystal Malt, but it wasn't crushed at all. I don't have the apparatus to crush it, and i frankly didn't even think about whether it would need to be. I went back today to get some ingredients for more brews (yeah, Christmas Holidays!) and saw that they had pre-crushed in the same variety of Barley. Has this happened to anyone? Is it okay to use uncrushed grain for the steeping part? If not, what's my final product going to end up tasting like?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Not sure, but I would guess you won't get quite the flavor or color from the crystal that you would have. I don't think this particular brew will suffer all that much though. It might actually be more APPLE-Y, but could be tarter than usual. I predict it will still be very drinkable, and since you only made 1 gallon, it will be gone pretty fast and you can make the next batch with crushed crystal for comparison.

As a tip, I crush the crystal by using a rolling pin on the grains in a thick freezer baggie. I tried also pulsing in in my food processor (only a few pulses!!) and both methods seemed to work ok in that I could definitely smell/see the extracted flavor/color in the steeping/strike water.

indeed, thanks for the advice. The wort was definitely very brown, and it was almost entirely made with crystal, a little bit of carapils to take the place of torrified wheat i couldn't find. The fermenting jug was extremely dark when I poured the wort into it, darkening the AJ quite considerably. The ratio of wort to juice was higher than recommended however, because the small amount of water that would be required, 1/5th of a gallon, wasn't enough to submerge the grains. Instead, I put about 1/3-1/2 of a gallon to steep, used the same water to sparge, and then boiled it down a bit, while adding DME, to try to lower the amount. After the kreusen falls in a couple days, I'm going to add some AJ concentrate and a bit of water to try to get the balance back where it should be. Thanks for the advice on how to crush, I'll definitely use crushed grains next time.

Took another taste off my keg tonight (kegged and primed Dec 17). The green fresh taste has subsided a bit since my first taste and is now much more drinkable. Still has a distinct tart flavor but the apples are showing through more. A little bit of sweetness but mainly a background component. I'm gonna have a few pints of this tonight, I think. then it's back in hibernation while I go on vacation. If it tastes this nice now I can only imagine what two weeks away from my mitts will do to it.

indeed, thanks for the advice. The wort was definitely very brown, and it was almost entirely made with crystal, a little bit of carapils to take the place of torrified wheat i couldn't find. The fermenting jug was extremely dark when I poured the wort into it, darkening the AJ quite considerably. The ratio of wort to juice was higher than recommended however, because the small amount of water that would be required, 1/5th of a gallon, wasn't enough to submerge the grains. Instead, I put about 1/3-1/2 of a gallon to steep, used the same water to sparge, and then boiled it down a bit, while adding DME, to try to lower the amount. After the kreusen falls in a couple days, I'm going to add some AJ concentrate and a bit of water to try to get the balance back where it should be. Thanks for the advice on how to crush, I'll definitely use crushed grains next time.

Well if you used 50:50 light/amber DME, the amber DME would also add to the color, probably more so than the crystal.

BTW, I used Carapils instead of Torrified wheat as well. I wasn't too worried about head retention anyway so I wasn't disappointed when I didn't see much of it. When I took the Graff to a party, though, and it had warmed up to just below a somewhat chilly room temp rather than refrigerator temps, the head retention was very good..and it still tasted great!

tested today at the 2 week mark using s04, 0G was 1.062 two week mark is 1.014.
its still real cloudy, i did ferment at the lowest range of the s04 so will give another week to hopefully clear.

DSCF1235.jpg

the sample tasted great, defiantly has potential got a pretty good buzz from the sample.
:mug:

Back