Graf (cider/beer hybrid) attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KIC-8462852

Reaction score
For my 3d non-kit brew, I decided to try graf, a hybrid recipe of beer and cider.
I'm certain people have been brewing things like this for ages, but the word "graf", and the popularity of the brew, comes from a work of fiction, The Dark Tower by Stephen King, where it is described as "strong apple beer". There are a few recipes around, the hallmark being the one by Brandon O (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=117117).

Batch size: about 17L (4.5 gal)
Fermentables: 1kg (2.2 lb) amber malt, 1kg light malt (8 EBC), ~500g (1.1 lb) honey, 10L (2.64 gal) local all natural pasteurized AJ

Hops: Glacier (6.4%), 30g (1.05 oz) (at 30, 20 and 10 minutes)

Safale S-04 yeast

I boiled the malt + hops for 30 minutes, adding most hops at the start, plus bit at 20 and 10 minutes.
Added honey after the boil.
Cooled the wort, poured it in the fermenter (some of the hops gunk slipped in, but that's perfectly fine), poured the Apple Juice on top of all that.
Pitched S-04, temperature approx 22°C.
Original Gravity: 1.075.
Since it is winter, I can control temp by cracking the window.

Wort colour: Amber, I'd say.
Hydrometer sample taste: malted apple juice with hops. Not that pleasant, but funny.

Compared to Brandon O's recipe, I have less apple juice, no caramel malt or wheat, used more hops and added some honey. It'll be stronger, but I like a bit of a kick.
I actually have twice the amount of hops, against express instructions in the original recipe - not because I'm a rebel, I simply miscalculated the amounts ^^ fingers crossed.
I considered using T-58 yeast for a more complex flavor, but opted for playing it safe for the first batch. The honey should add some aroma.

Let us know how it tastes! If it turns out tasting... not good, let it sit around for a month and mellow a bit. Honey does nicely with some extra time and if it's too hoppy, some of that flavor with fade with the extra time.

I've used and have been reading up on calypso hops. It's aroma descriptors are apples and pears (I get some grassy taste with that). If you ever make this style again, it's worth looking into.

Yep, time does wonders on a brew. I'm not a patient man, so brewing is a bit of a challenge in that regard.J

That hops does look very interesting. So you get grassy flavours but also applekind? What style beer did you use it in?

SWMBO bought me some calypso hop candy for Christmas because she knew I brewed an all-calypso IPA a year ago. The candy tastes just like the hop... apples and pears with a grassy background. It's a very unique tasting hop. If I could go back, I'd use it in conjunction with another hop, though. It's not very citrusy on its own.

Here's an older thread of its early experimental uses that I was reading. I'm pretty sure someone mentions using it to make a braggot...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=223864

SWMBO bought me some calypso hop candy for Christmas because she knew I brewed an all-calypso IPA a year ago.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=223864

How was your Calypso IPA? I think I'll keep that hop in the back of my mind. Though I'm afraid it will be a while before I stock up.

The graf is starting to mellow out and to taste real pleasant. I'll have to feed my people some, see what they say.

Honestly, it wasn't my favorite. Like I said, apple, pear, and a unique grassy flavor. I thought the overall bitterness was pretty harsh, though. If you do ever use it, I'd suggest using another hop with it.

And I'm glad it's aging well! Still the same flavor?

I'll keep that in mind.

The flavour is evening out I think. It was rather bitter, but now it's starting to taste really pleasant. I think Glacier is adding a lot of goodyness

I've actually brewed another small batch on a whim after picking up a bottle of apple/pear juice. This time I used Pilgrim hops, and honey as part of the fermentables.
Just dumped the whole wort in the juice as soon as it was cool enough, there's a ton of trub and an actual cake of hops swimming on top. Curious how this will turn out, but at 1.070, I think it'll take a bit of maturing.
Just have to try to forget about it and surprise myself with it in a few months...

Pilgrim hops imho are great.
They do lose thier 'intensity of flavor' after a few months though.
So be sure to try some 'young' and compare it to the same brew 'aged'

Did you pasteurize the honey? Because I've read some horror stories about adding honey (and all the bugs that may be present) to wort. Kinda like inoculating a petri dish.

Did you pasteurize the honey? Because I've read some horror stories about adding honey (and all the bugs that may be present) to wort. Kinda like inoculating a petri dish.

No, I didn't pasteurise it, I added it at flameout, and there's no sign of infection at present. From what I can tell through the carboy walls anyway ^^
I've read around and the majority of users seemed to say, on the contrary, that they had very few issues with honey...

Pilgrim hops imho are great.
They do lose thier 'intensity of flavor' after a few months though.
So be sure to try some 'young' and compare it to the same brew 'aged'

OK, I'll try some while young.J

That'll be nice. I think adding it to the hot wort after boil should be sufficient, but if you can be bothered, pasteurization is surely the safest way to go:)

I just tossed the whole batch of Pilgrim graf.

Near the end of bottling, I realized I hadn't rinsed my bottling kettle properly and there was an undeterminate amount of Chemipro (active-oxygen powdered cleaning agent) left in there.
Now I know it's touted as a no-rinse product, but it is a toxic chemical. The amount might have been negligible, but I couldn't be sure.

Good thing it was only a one-gallon batch. Still a crying shame, it smelled lovely as it went down the drain.

Back