Grade B Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_BullDog_

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was at the farmers market today and one of the honey vendors said at times he would sell grade b honey at a steep discount since the moisture content is to high to sell for food given the risk for natural fermentation to start. Mentioned he was selling another guy 15 lbs for $45 or something like that.

Anyone ever use grade b honey for mead?

I have many times and the mead turned out great. Im not sure why they use moister content as a criteria, but when making mead one is going to be adding more water anyway. I suspect that the goverment doesnt want people to have spontaneous alcoholic beverage and not have paid taxes. other than the honey appeaered darker to me it worked out great and if i get hiney for a low price im usually buying.

$3 a pound for grade B? That's about the average price for grade A honey around here. Seems like a pretty steep price for honey he can't sell anywhere else. I think I'd pass on that deal.
Regards, GF.

Yeah, the price should be lower. You have to wonder why the honey has water added to it (higher moisture content). The bees don't add any water.
There's a large honey processor near hear that heats the honey to pasteurize it and put it through a filter. I'm thinking they flush the system out with some water to get any remaining honey and then sell it as a grade B product. If you buy honey in bulk, you can get it for less than $3/lb.

I do agree with the price still being high for grade b. I just saw the 15lbs for some reason i was thinking 55lbs. The local local harverster will sell me a 60lb pail for that price. There are going to be deals towards the end of summer just talk to the harvester and ask them how much would they sell a 60lb pail for. many will be happy to sell it to you I usually tell them i want three pail and will pay cash and he next week they have three pails for me.

Honey starts out life as nectar..... as we all know. Nectar is very high in water, and the bees work day and night fanning it to reduce moisture content. I've never even heard of grade B high moisture content honey. By the time the cells are sealed, the moisture content of the honey is where it's supposed to be, and cannot spoil as osmotic pressure kills any microbes. I don't see any way one could harvest high moisture content honey. "Something is rotten in Denmark" I'd say. You are NOT being told the whole story. I personally wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole. I'd be suspicious of more than just moisture content. I kept bees years ago, and know many commercial bee keepers. This is just NOT something that happens.
That said, I can typically buy 5 gallon buckets of honey at about $2 a pound ($120 for a bucket if I bring the empty back). Forget the farmer's market, and locate one of the local commercial honey houses. Many of them sell honey out the back door, as the profit is so much higher than shipping it out in totes to someone who packages it and resells it.

H.W.

I'm a bee keeper as well. It was just harvested earlier and has nectar in it. The harvest had half nectar half honey for example and will rott/ferment if stored as honey.

I'm a bee keeper as well. It was just harvested earlier and has nectar in it. The harvest had half nectar half honey for example and will rott/ferment if stored as honey.

Who harvests uncapped comb??? No real bee keeper. A few uncapped cells is one thing, but enough to result in excessive moisture content...... sounds like someone who has no idea what he's doing.

H.W.

Who harvests uncapped comb??? No real bee keeper. A few uncapped cells is one thing, but enough to result in excessive moisture content...... sounds like someone who has no idea what he's doing.

H.W.
Not really called for. Sometimes you harvest when you have the time. I have harvested honey with uncapped cells as well. Our area is pretty dry and you can get away with it(maybe) If you are using for your own consumption that is one thing. Selling it is another.
I do agree that you have an obligation to the people who you are selling or giving your honey to, to be at 18% ish moisture content.
You can simply but smaller quantities in the freezer or fridge to safe keep if using at home. Yes another beekeeper here.

Not really called for. Sometimes you harvest when you have the time. I have harvested honey with uncapped cells as well. Our area is pretty dry and you can get away with it(maybe) If you are using for your own consumption that is one thing. Selling it is another.
I do agree that you have an obligation to the people who you are selling or giving your honey to, to be at 18% ish moisture content.
You can simply but smaller quantities in the freezer or fridge to safe keep if using at home. Yes another beekeeper here.

Having kept bees myself, and having a number of professional beekeepers as friends, I stand by my comments.......... I consider this incompetence, and I would never buy ANY product from someone who offered something like this. You are either a professional or competent bee keeper, or you are not.

H.W.

Latest posts

Back