GRABASS (part 3): running out of breweries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For those not In The Know, GRABASS = Greater Raleigh Area Brewers and Suds Sippers. It's just a few of us from the Raleigh area that like to drink on Saturday afternoons right now. But, I have faith that we are the next Maltose Falcons. :)

Anyway....

If we hit a brewery every weekend, we'll probably be out of them soon (hell... we might be out of them already for all I know). So, I was wondering what you guys wanted to try and do for GRABASS III? Jeff mentioned hitting up the Flying Saucer sometime. I mentioned the Sawmill Tap Room (never been, but it was recommended and pretty near my house).

What do you guys think? Do we want to have the third installment at a quality pub someplace and just knock back a few?

-walker

I think we need to cool out for a while before the SWMBOs put the hammer down on us. Let's find out when Truble is going to be in town and take him out for a few beers. There are a lot of good beer bars in the GRABASS sector of the universe.
Another idea is to have a homebrew session. I am curious to see how the AG guys brew and would love to watch/help out/drink HB with Kaiser and BeeGee to see how the "real brewers" do their thing. Conversely, I would like to have you guys over to my place on a Saturday morning to help me brew & drink some fresh roasted coffee.
As far as breweries are concerned, we still have Duck-Rabbit in Farmville. Who knows anything about Red Oak in G'boro or that brewery in Fayetteville? We may want to hire a Designated Driver if we venture out of Raleigh.
Jeff

I think the options are still rich. Lots of good ideas in this thread...I'd love to have you guys over next time I brew. My next batch when I do it will be an Aventinus clone, so lots of opportunities for screw-ups and ensuing hilarity. I'm also more than happy to watch Jeff brew while I drink his coffee.

A pub night sounds great. I'm hitting Horniblow's Tuesday after a mtb ride to sip a few listen to bluegrass, but the other locations sound good, too. Not sure where everybody is coming from, but the taproom in Cameron Village may be more central than Sawmill and is part of the same franchise. FS works, as well.

Duck-Rabbit would be high on my list, and it is fairly close to what's widely (in NC) considered to be the best bbq in the world. I believe a colleague at work knows one of the brewers at Red Oak, so that could be a good tour, as well.

We've got the beer festival in April which I'm planning on, and if you can arrange I would highly suggest trying to go to the fest in Asheville in the fall, though I won't be able to make it this year.

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
I think we need to cool out for a while before the SWMBOs put the hammer down on us.

I'm with you there, Jeff. SWMBO has been pretty cool about letting me take off for 2 or 3 hours on a Saturday afternoon, but I think if I requested to be gone for longer than that (a far away brewery or sitting in on an AG batch) she might start reminding me that I have two kids that want my attention.

-walker

Baron von BeeGee said:
Well, I'll be grabbing my ass ~8pm at Horniblow's tomorrow night. Rain might cancel the mtb ride.

BeeGee, I would love to join you tomorrow night but I've got tickets to the 'Canes game. Maybe next week?
Jeff

i might try to sneak out tomorrow night. The place is only a 10 minute drive from my house.

I *should* be bottling my porter, but.... I'm very good at finding excuses to NOT bottle, I hate bottling day.

-walker

Back