GRABASS Brew-N-Q 4/3/10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahoDal

Reaction score
For those in the Greater Raleigh Area that don't yet follow the list
here: http://groups.google.com/group/grabass_nc

We're having a brew-n-q at my place on Saturday April 3rd. I'll be cooking at least a butt and a brisket in my pit http://bigskyhg.com/PigPit/

This is a low key excuse to combine 2 things I really like. Don't bother asking what to bring because I don't care. I'll have 20 pounds of bbq and homebrew. Show up whenever you want that day, and no need to RSVP or anything fancy like that. Bring all your friends and spouses etc. I am not a babysitter so your critters (regardless of how many legs) are your responsibility and note that I live on a large un-fenced pond.

Rain or shine. Plenty of room in the garage for folks. I can handle probably 6 brewers in the garage and literally an unlimited number on the driveway/grass.

Meat goes in the pit around 6am, shooting for 6pm to pull it and thus dinner around 7pm. Probably get started brewing around noon but show up whenever.

PM me if you need an addy.
-Dallas

Sounds like fun! I'll check the plans and see if I'm free. Is it ok if I come and don't brew? There's no way I could fit my equipment in my car, and even if I could, I'm not sure how well my setup would work away from home. I would like to meet area brewers, hangout, and share some homebrew though!

I'm sure Dallas doesn't care if you brew or just hang out.

It'll be a bit of a haul from Durham to get to Dallas', so be prepared for a drive. It's a "raleigh" address, but ain't really in Raleigh at all.

I'll be there.

You don't happen to have a 240V/30A outlet in the garage do you? :D

Straight shot from the garage through the door directly to my washer/dryer. No clue what the amp rating is there but you're welcome to it if you want it. Otherwise you (or anyone else for that matter) are more than welcome to join up with me and make a 10 gallon batch of something. 2.25 pounds of random special malts is all we'd need to pick up if anyone wanted to double a B3 Irish Red (that took over 8 weeks to arrive, that's another story) with me.

And yeah 4/3 is the day before Easter.

I'll be there.

You don't happen to have a 240V/30A outlet in the garage do you? :D

Straight shot from the garage through the door directly to my washer/dryer.

I was just kidding about the electric stuff. My rig will probably be ready to roll by then, but I'm not going to bring it over and burn your house down with it.

I'll be brewing with propane that day.

I was just kidding about the electric stuff. My rig will probably be ready to roll by then, but I'm not going to bring it over and burn your house down with it.

I'll be brewing with propane that day.

Are you planning on burning his house down with the propane, then?

Are you planning on burning his house down with the propane, then?

I'm not PLANNING to, but.... **** happens, ya know? :tank:

Anyway....

I was thinking more about the electric rig because of the fact that I had to perform basic wiring and functional tests with only 120V (electrician hasn't yet come to put the 240V in).

One of the hot lines from the 240V service goes to only one place, and that's the heater element. The other hot line goes to the heater element via relay and also gets distributed with the neutral line to all of the stuff that runs off 120V (pump, pid, modulator, etc, etc).

So, with the way it is temporarily being fed power now (one "hot" in the box tied to the neutral from the wall), the element would just be getting driven by 120V instead of 240V. Cutting the voltage in half will cut the current draw in half, which will cut the power of the element to 25%.

So, my "5500W/240V" element would be a "1375W/120V" element, drawing only 11.5A instead of 23A. I literally could plug this into any GFCI protected standard household outlet and use it right now. I'd be hard pressed to actually boil my wort with only 1375W, and heating things up would take a very very long time (probably an hour to heat mash water), but the thought is making my brain itch.

I might try this at home in a few weeks if the 240V doesn't get installed soon and do a low-power wet-test of the whole system before I open the throttle all the way.

Walker, is your Santa Maria Pale all Columbus hopped? Curious because I just brewed up an all Columbus IPA last night (but close to a pale ale, at only 43 IBU).

Walker, is your Santa Maria Pale all Columbus hopped? Curious because I just brewed up an all Columbus IPA last night (but close to a pale ale, at only 43 IBU).

Yes, it is all Columbus.

It's the recipe I made up for my first AG batch several years ago, but I never brewed it again until last month. I dry-hopped that first batch, but I was lazy on this one and went straight to the keg from the primary because I already had all the gear out to keg 4 batches one night (the pils I had sitting around forever and the 10 gallons from the brewgasm), so I just kegged it and called it done.

As such, it never got dry hopped this time.

Bumpity bump for anyone in the greater Raleigh area. It will definitely be a good time! PM Idahodal for the address. I'll see the rest of you slackers Saturday!

Hey, Skee... Remember to bring a 6-er of the Belgian up to swap and I'll do the same. I'm hoping to have at least a couple on hand to sample, as well.

Hey, since I volunteered to be the distributor for the Raleigh group buy, do I have an invitation?

Hey, since I volunteered to be the distributor for the Raleigh group buy, do I have an invitation?

Absolutely! We posted the link to this in that thread. Just send Idahodal a message for the address. Actually, I might need to do that too. I don't know where I put it... The more the merrier too. Bring your gear too and hammer out a batch while you're hanging out too.

No imposition at all. Dallas clearly stated that any and all are welcome. A lot of the guys that have been to GRABASS events before are unable to attend this weekend for various reasons. Brewing starts around 12, food at 7ish. We are a pretty good bunch of guys. You should definitely come by. And brew if you'd like!

Hey, hey, hey, can I come and play? I just got back from Haiti man did it suck! Dallas got room for me to bring out toys after about a 10 month hiatus? Looks like we got back just in time.

Hey, hey, hey, can I come and play? I just got back from Haiti man did it suck! Dallas got room for me to bring out toys after about a 10 month hiatus? Looks like we got back just in time.

I'd say you'd be more than welcome! You can tell us how much you enjoyed Haiti. :) And I've not heard of many folks wanting to brew so there should be plenty of room.

Everyone is welcome. Bring your women too, I have a cider on tap for 'em. I don't mind kids either but I don't have any so they're your responsibility, I have a couple dogs and yours are welcome to come too but cats will quickly find themselves eaten by my dog :)

I'm waking up at 3am on Saturday morning to start the pit.

I have a 10 pound pork shoulder that I'm going to wrap in bacon and get into the pit around 5am. Then a 10 pound lemon brined rosemary-Sorachi-Lite-beer in the butt capon will go in around 8am then at 10am a Texas marinated 5 pound brisket joins the fray. That's 25 pounds of pure low and slow bbq (shooting for a cooking temp between 200 and 225) cooking for about 12 hours. Ya gotta cook *through* done-ness and into tenderness.

I may duck out sometime in the afternoon when I'm done brewing to catch an hour or 2 of shuteye but that never seems to happen...

Meat comes out when the brewing is done at 6pm, wait 30-45 minutes for a protein rest and for clean up, then we can start pulling.

Folks are welcome to show up anytime between Friday after work (feel free to drop off your gear) and sometime Sunday morning. Bring your brewing gear. I have 1.3 acres of land, cleaned out 2 car garage and a 100 ft long driveway so more than enough space for everyone who wants to brew.

If you can't make it in time for brewing come on out for dinner. I have 4 brews on tap and I'm sure everyone will bring their own creations.

I also have plenty of 2-row, 6-row and Pilsner if anyone needs base malt, and can stop by American Brewmaster on my way home tonight or tomorrow.

PM me if you need an address to Casa De Willis.

http://www.bigskyhg.com/PigPit

http://www.bonemopbrewing.com

Also, if you're brewing, bring a bag of ice. Only took about 15 minutes last night at 11pm to chill a batch down but the ground water temp will be rising over the next couple days and 85 degree heat on Saturday will slow down our cooling. I have a 1/6 HP 1,900gph pump that I just bought and a 50 foot 1/2" immersion chiller so with the pump and ice we should be able to cool the brews pretty fast. I have a big chest freezer to store the ice in, and if we run out the store is like 2 miles away so no big deal.

Welcome back!!

hey, hey, hey, can i come and play? I just got back from haiti man did it suck! Dallas got room for me to bring out toys after about a 10 month hiatus? Looks like we got back just in time.

I'll bring a 10lb bag of ice for my chilling. I am going to try and minimize the amount of crap I am hauling, so I'd love to use your IC and pump for chilling.

I considered bringing the ugly copper monster, little giant pump, and partially functional HERMS box, but I think that'll be too much of a PITA. So, I plan to bring only what I minimally need (propane tank and burner, kettle, MLT, carboy, ingredients, and a few tools and short hoses.)

Oh, and I'll bring my cordless drill to drive your mill if anyone needs to use it. I'm bringing my grain pre-crushed.

I'll be unloading gear Friday night and maybe kind of setting up my junk so that I can just park the car and start brewing Saturday.

Those that need an addy, PM me. I'll try to check here tomorrow in case someone forgets but don't count on it. Some of my flying buddies are coming over too so should be a good turnout.

And a friend of Scott and mine, whom we're calling Spanky (largely because he hates it).

Anyone else?

Dallas....

You got room in your keezer for one of my kegs to take up temporary residence tomorrow?

The weather got warm fast, and I want to get rid of the porter.

There will be a 2-drink minimum, and one must be a Holy Grail.

Boston is out of town, sitting on the beach, drinking beer, and playing guitar... think "Jimmy Buffet".

Boston is in the Mecca of people "of a certain age" and, it just so happens, he is one of those people. So, he'll probably be complaining about the "damn kids" and "loud music" and telling us about "when he was your age" and what not for the next one. And reminding us that semen and beer are not mutually exclusive and he can prove it.
:ban:

Walker, keezer is totally full and I have at least one keg on deck already. I could possibly bottle my wife's cider but I'm hoping that some of the lady-types that will be there will appreciate a non-beer alternative and I'd hate to waste all the time bottling just for them to open the things up right away. But if you want to bottle them for me tonight when you stop by, feel free ;-)

I have plenty of plastic trash cans though so we could fill one w/ice no problem.

Scott and I are brewing 10 gallons of Citra Lite (very similar to the Miller Lite clone on HBT here that I have on tap w/all Sorachi but this time using all Citra leaf).

Scott has also made up a wannabe 60 Minute clone that we're doing 10 gallons also.

Someone needs to remind me around lunch time to bawl up a bag ah crawdads.

One other note, *nothing* organic goes in my trash cans. I compost and recycle everything. That includes meat and bones and milk (all the stuff they tell you not compost, works just fine in the forest so works in my heap) and paper plates etc. If in doubt, ask. And if you feed my dog you take him home. His innerds are a super fast expressway for anything but Iams dog food.

Walker, keezer is totally full and I have at least one keg on deck already. I could possibly bottle my wife's cider but I'm hoping that some of the lady-types that will be there will appreciate a non-beer alternative and I'd hate to waste all the time bottling just for them to open the things up right away. But if you want to bottle them for me tonight when you stop by, feel free ;-)

I have plenty of plastic trash cans though so we could fill one w/ice no problem.

Sounds good. Hopefully it goes faster that way. If I can walk 10 feet to get a beer or 20 feet to get to a selection of beers, I'd probably just do the 10 feet. :D

Scott and I are brewing 10 gallons of Citra Lite (very similar to the Miller Lite clone on HBT here that I have on tap w/all Sorachi but this time using all Citra leaf).

Scott has also made up a wannabe 60 Minute clone that we're doing 10 gallons also.

Someone needs to remind me around lunch time to bawl up a bag ah crawdads.

5 gallons of 2-hearted here.

I'll bring some taters to bawl with the dads.

One other note, *nothing* organic goes in my trash cans. I compost and recycle everything. That includes meat and bones and milk (all the stuff they tell you not compost, works just fine in the forest so works in my heap) and paper plates etc. If in doubt, ask. And if you feed my dog you take him home. His innerds are a super fast expressway for anything but Iams dog food.

Thanks for the head's up... I baked up some doggy treats with my spent grains from Tuesday and was going to stick a handful in my pocket for him...

Spanky is brewing up a Great Lakes Burning River clone, and something else he hasn't shared with me yet. At last report he is also bringing an assistant.

Looking forward to tomorrow guys!

-Scott

Walker,

Dallas mentioned you might have an extra propane burner. If you don't mind, could you bring that in case we get any crazy ideas on brewing, cooking crawdads, or don't have quite enough ********* to melt Dallas's gliders? I was planing on bringing my propane tank as a backup anyway.

-Scott

Back