Gotta love cool weather and brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sitting in the garage, wort boiling, drinking a good stout, and listening to good music. 60 degrees is perfect. Monday has been set right :D

Presumably the floods and tornadoes are done for the season... ;-)

About the same as here--around 60. We've been having a warm spell here this fall. It's not often the temps in Minnesota in November are the same as in Texas.

But 60 is about perfect for a brew day.

Nope. Spelled it right with a 6, not a 7. I've been in Texas almost 20 years, but I still like cool weather.

serious.jpg

Can't wait for the Hellfire IIPA to finish up & clear so I can make final additions to it. Then get the mumme' going. It's been down into the 40's & 50's here. Rainin' today...

Did the same thing on Saturday night, you must be in North Texas. The temp was great.

Cool weather is 60? It's 37 and I went outside to run 6 miles. Cool is 40-50. Hot is 100. 60 is just annoying because it's too cold for an extra layer but too warm for a jacket.

Another 60 degree night here in North Texas. Another brew cooking. Nut Brown ale boiling, good music playing. Life is good once again. :D

There is definitely something to say about brewing in moderate temps. Not cold, not hot. No stress and no hurry :D

It's been -12F around here lately, with blustery winds & snow. Damn Alberta clippers. 28F this morning, we're having a tropical heat wave around here!

It's been -12F around here lately, with blustery winds & snow. Damn Alberta clippers. 28F this morning, we're having a tropical heat wave around here!

I was sweating in bed last night. Must have been above 20F.

And actually they are calling for a "mixture" of precipitation and some rain. Very odd for mid-January. Better get the snowblower out tonight before the snow gets too heavy.

Hopefully it will be warm enough to brew outside this weekend!

Seriously, every Sunday Ive decided to smoke, the next day has been in single degree weather.... Ive managed, but Im getting sick of it. I can brew in whatever weather since Im electric, but my word, just let me smoke some butts in something higher than 8 degree weather...

I don't think j could survive with being in the 20's. Today is in the 70's and this weekend is almost 75. Time to break out the outdoor equipment.

did you just really say 60 was cool weather brewing!?!?! Whatever. I just brewed a week ago and it warmed up to 38. Had to put a tee shirt on, it was so warm. It has been in the low teens for the high, and below 0 at night lately

Forecast calls for it going up to 40° F this weekend. I'm planning on brewing. Anything above freezing, in the winter, is ideal. It's above freezing, so my hoses/chiller/pump don't freeze up while they're sitting around, but it's still winter, so the ground water is cold enough that I can chill 5 gallons down to 60° F in about 2-3 minutes (yay plate chiller!).

Heck, I'm excited for 40° F this weekend! I'll be brewing and grilling and treating it like a Spring weekend!

30s here, hitting the 40s over the weekend. One more month of bull**** weather, then hopefully it'll start getting nice outside... I want to ride my damn motorcycle!!!

did you just really say 60 was cool weather brewing!?!?! Whatever. I just brewed a week ago and it warmed up to 38. Had to put a tee shirt on, it was so warm. It has been in the low teens for the high, and below 0 at night lately

Yep, I said 60 was cool, just right for brewing. I lived in Nampa for over 4 years, so I know how it gets there... COLD... I lived on 10th Ave S Ext (now S Pine St), 7 few blocks down from Nampa High.

Yep, I said 60 was cool, just right for brewing. I lived in Nampa for over 4 years, so I know how it gets there... COLD... I lived on 10th Ave S Ext (now S Pine St), 7 few blocks down from Nampa High.

ha! i know where that is. Actually i just moved to fairfield. Guess i should change that, lol. It actually has warmed up. Was 1* this morning, and 27* right now. Like a heat wave

Downright cold here this morning, even though it's supposed to get up to 52F. I'll believe it when it happens. Porter initial fermentation got up to 70.6F despite the cold temps.

Another perfect brewing day. 65 and sunny, Hefeweizen is halfway done boiling, 80's hair metal is blasting, and the pale ale is flowing. DAYUMM, life can be good. :D

I brewed this morning. It was -20° F. When it came time to chill, I ran the wort through my plate chiller full speed, with all valves wide open, powered by my Chugger pump. The carboy filled up in about 2 minutes, and the wort was 64º F. But it was so cold that the regulator on my burner froze up and I couldn't adjust my flame. Also, the foam on top of my bucket of Star San froze and was crunchy. The hoses got stiff and my hands were freezing, but it all worked out and the beer is now happily fermenting.

Back