Gotlandsdricka-saison-ish hybrid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclebrazzie

Reaction score
Howza!

I'm expecting a delivery of freshly picked juniper twigs (like many things, harvesting wild juniper is bery much verboten in Belgium so I'm having mine imported from the French causses) so I'll be brewing something with Juniper soon.

Here's something loosely based on Jester King's Viking Metal (which I haven't tasted because Belgium doesn't know jack s*** about foreign beer).

For 20l (5.2 gallons) of 1.074 OG beer:

4 kg pale
1 kg lightly peated whiskymalt
1 kg wheat malt
1 kg rye malt

Mash at 67°C (154F) for 60' in water infused with juniper (branches, needles, berries). Use the discarded branches to line the mash tun.
Should yield 25l of 1.058 wort.

Boil for 70' with
40g EKG @T-60'
5g sweet gale @T-5'
5g dried crushed juniper berries @t-5'

Should yield 21l of 1.074 wort.

Pitch with French Saison (3711), starter using harvested cake from previous brew. Let rip at ambient temp.

Optionally (depending on how adventurous I'm feeling at this point), inoculate with lactic culture and age on wood chips (infused in either gin or Vlaamse jenever) for half a year or so.

The aim here is to get the rustic, "historic" character of juniper and gale, with a mild smokeyness from the whisky malt (note that it really is a very lightly peated malt, which was barely noticeable in a more robust Scotch-like brew I made earlier this year).
I was tempted to add some honey to dry out a bit, but I'm no big fan of honey flavours in beer so I decided against it.

Your thoughts, oh Forum Overmind?

Back