Got the wrong type of yeast, will it work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuckiesRevenge

Reaction score
So I picked up ingredients to make a honey porter from my LHBS. 6 # gold extract, 2# honey, .75# chocolate malt, .5 # carapils and hops. I was supposed to get London ale yeast but I got London ale iii yeast. Will that still be alright to use?

What more, unless you have serious experience under your belt, you probably won't be able to tell the difference. Maybe if you brewed identical batches side by side and only switched out the yeast, but out of the blue? Psh.

Enjoy making your beer, dude.

I would brew anyway. I made a mistake of getting some Pilsen extract for a Hefeweizen i was brewing instead of all wheat, it actually turned out well enough that I've brewed it again. Not all mistakes are bad.

Brew anyway, but watch your head space. London III is a true top cropper, so you are likely to see a lot of krausen. Use a big fermenting bucket, consider a blowoff tube, and don't be surprised / worried if krausen starts coming out of your airlock.

heck, i'm using kolsch yeast from another batch to make an esb sunday, and i'll be using cali lager for an APA
experimentation is part of the fun!

It's been about a week in primary now, and boy I tell ya, you guys were right. Those yeast are feisty little fellas. I'm doing primary in a bucket and I have had to change out the air-lock twice already due to it filling with krausen and all but completely blocking off air escape!

Back