Got my gas and liquid keg posts mixed up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max129

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to kegging (like only 4 or 5 kegs in) and apparently horrible at reading directions because I only learned today that there are differences between the gas and liquid posts on a ball lock keg. Unfortunately, I learned this after I filled both of my kegs, attached the gas and carbed them, and am now trying unsuccessfully to force a picnic tap on them. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Would it be ok if I vented the pressure, switched the posts, and then repressurized the keg? Or would I end up with beer all over my floor?

One of the beers is a birthday gift for my girlfriend so I may be more freaked out than usual. Thanks in advance for any advice.

That will work fine man, just make sure to vent a couple of times to release the head space pressure after turning off or removing the gas, and the mess will be minimal. Just had to do this to replace a bad poppet valve. Also remember to sanitize everything you switch around with a spray of Star San or similar to keep everything nice and sanitized.

That will work fine man, just make sure to vent a couple of times to release the head space pressure after turning off or removing the gas, and the mess will be minimal. Just had to do this to replace a bad poppet valve. Also remember to sanitize everything you switch around with a spray of Star San or similar to keep everything nice and sanitized.

Took your advice and the switch was completely problem-free. Thanks for your help.

Or you could just switch the disconnects.

-1. Not this. In and out posts are ever so slightly different in size. If you search, you'll find instances of people witching the disconnects by mistake and are unable to remove one because it is so tight and must be broken in order to get it off. Not a good idea, IMO.

-1. Not this. In and out posts are ever so slightly different in size. If you search, you'll find instances of people witching the disconnects by mistake and are unable to remove one because it is so tight and must be broken in order to get it off. Not a good idea, IMO.

He was talking about switching the disconnects. I.E. Putting the gas disconnect on the liquid line not the liquid poppet and vice versa. Hence why the O.P. stated he was unsuccessful at trying to get the picnic tap (liquid disconnect) on the gas poppet.

Latest posts

Back