Got a wine aerator for Christmas and a brew tool idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidoduck

Reaction score
Happy new year everybody! I got one of those Brookstone wine aerator tools as a gift and the first time I used it, I got an instant idea for a tool.
If you've never seen one, the wine aerator is basicly a funnel with two holes drilled horizontally into the downspout. I just need to build a larger version for pouring my wort through.
Something tells me though, that I'm not the first one to have this idea

Great idea, but definitely not the first time. The brewery I worked in had a T-shaped piece to be added in the line moving from the chiller to the fermentation vessel. The beer flowed along the hose across the arm part of the 'T' and an oxygen line was attached to the bottom of the 'T' to aerate by injection.

Hope that helps and isn't too confusing because my brain isn't working properly (hooray for New Years hangover.) I can add a diagram or likely find an image on google if you'd like one.

Edit: You could also just punch a bunch of holes into the end of your hose from the kettle/chiller to carboy and I believe that will aerate it without as much effort. But then again, dumping it from a decent height will also sufficiently aerate the wort (i.e. dumping it through a strainer)

My wife had been using a wine aerator for awhile now too. (That thing really works too!) I had a similar thought, but haven't gotten off my butt to try to build a bigger wort-sized version. It's gotta be just a big Venturi effect, pulling air in through the lateral holes as the wine flows past. Hmmm...might be going back to Lowes for some tubing and a funnel...

Back