Got a Pliny kit!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
My brother in law surprised me with a Pliny kit from More Beer last week and before I brew it I want to get a few questions answered. When he bought the kit he didn't realize I had been all grain brewing for a couple of years so he got me a LME kit with steeping grains. There are instructions with it but they seem to be a bit vague in some areas and so I thought I'd ask for some input before I get this batch going.

First off, for the steeping grains it says "Use a grain bag. Add to water immediately. Remove at 170°" Last time I did a extract batch with steeping grains, I got my water up to temp, added the grains and held them at temp for some amount of time. Is the More Beer directions odd or is it just me?

For the dry hop section it lists three different hops - Columbus, Centennial and Simcoe. For each of these hops, it says "Dry hops are added to fermenter after primary fermentation for 3 to 7 days. Would you take that to mean add all of the hops at the same time for 3-7 days or??? I figure it would be better spread out over time. I usually let my beer ferment for 3 to 4 weeks so I'd have plenty of time to make multiple additions.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

It depends how much water you have in your kettle, how good your stove is, but I just did this with my pale ale in 3 gallons of water. I turned the stove on, put my grains in there to steep, and waited until it got to 170 degrees. I've only steeped grains once it got to 150-155, for 25-30 mins.
I'd stay do whatever you want imo.

Add all three hops in at the same time for those 3-5 days. I'd probably go 5 days.

I only brew with Moorbeer kits. I steep the grains in 2gal of water. I set the timer for 30min, put in the grains and turn on the stove. Once the temp gets to 170 i turn off the stove and let it continue untill the 30min is up.

Back