Got a 20 gal pot! Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captgreg

Reaction score
Well I just got a 20gal ss pot and now I'm trying to figure out my next step towards 10 gallon batches. I've been doing BIAB with a 10gal pot for 5 gal batches no problem. I don't even thing my bag will fit this 20gal monster. Guess I have to get a new bag and probably start kegging, twice the bottling is not appealing. Anyone else out there BIAB for 10 gallon batches??

This is a 10 have also done 15's
I use a frame with a HF boat wench for lifting
image-3998911157.jpg

beaksnbeer said:
This is a 10 have also done 15's I use a frame with a HF boat wench for lifting

Is that a 10 gal pot or a 10 gal batch?

I'm still not quite sure my burner will support the 20gal pot full! Guess there's only one way to find out. I've been using a pulley system to lift

Get to the gym so you can lift that big a$s bag out of the kettle...LOL

My god I cannot imagine how hard it would be to get a 10 gallon batch of wet grain out of a kettle in a bag. I would think you will need a pulley or something.

Good luck

Cheers
Jay

Jaybird said:
Get to the gym so you can lift that big a$s bag out of the kettle...LOL My god I cannot imagine how hard it would be to get a 10 gallon batch of wet grain out of a kettle in a bag. I would think you will need a pulley or something. Good luck Cheers Jay

Thanks! Yeah it will be heavy, but I've already got a pulley system set up for my 5 gal batches, may add another pulley for the 10 gal batches but shouldn't be a problem. My burner is rather low though so I may have to install a ball valve on it and invest in a pump

Thanks! Yeah it will be heavy, but I've already got a pulley system set up for my 5 gal batches, may add another pulley for the 10 gal batches but shouldn't be a problem. My burner is rather low though so I may have to install a ball valve on it and invest in a pump

I personally think EVERY brewery needs a pump in it somewhere....

Cheers
Jay

I did a 15 gal batch last weekend. I was brewing at my hunt club cabin so I was a little short on gear. Manually lifting the bag was a bear!!! I keep thinking I need to bring a screw hook down there and install it in the ceiling. I have found the key to large batch BIAB is having a pulley with a ratchet stop. Even a 30 lb grain bill is not all that hard to lift, if you have something that will hold it for you on it's way out of the kettle while it drains. With a ratchet pulley, you are only raising it an inch or so at a time while it exits the kettle, so it really isn't that hard.

I brew 12 gallons in a 20 gallon kettle, but I do a hybrid with roughly half grains and half DME.

I have been thinking about an all grain BIAB with two bags, but haven't done it yet.

i did a couple 10 gallon biab out of kettle and now i do 10 gallon biab out of my cooler and some how i get a little better effiencey

captgreg said:
Where did you get that strainer thing??
my step dad is in the stainless biz..... He made it for me works great, as hoisting is not a option for me

Well I just got a 20gal ss pot and now I'm trying to figure out my next step towards 10 gallon batches. I've been doing BIAB with a 10gal pot for 5 gal batches no problem. I don't even thing my bag will fit this 20gal monster. Guess I have to get a new bag and probably start kegging, twice the bottling is not appealing. Anyone else out there BIAB for 10 gallon batches??

Well, the simple answer is to recruit a friend to help you drag that heavy bag out! Brew days are always more fun with a willing brew buddy and a couple of homebrews to incentivize the work. :mug:

I've done a few 11g batches, and without rigging up a pulley system as yet. The hardest part is that not only is the bag heavy, but it's hot. I'd recommend something like these Blichmann brewing gloves:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/blichmann-brewing-gloves.html

These are great because they protect your hands from the heat and keep your hands from getting sticky from the sweet wort after the mash. Lift the bag out with these and then transfer it to a secondary container like a 5g bucket. You could also raise it above the brew pot using a spare Weber BBQ grill. Either way, you can squeeze out the remaining wort to maximize your extraction efficiency. The gloves are great for this.

The other thing you need is a capable BIAB bag. I ordered one of these from Jeff at BagBrewer:

http://www.bagbrewer.com/

These bags are darn near indestructible (see the video!), and after ordering, I had mine in about three days. I am very impressed by the construction of this bag, and have no concern about the bag bursting even with high gravity grain bills. Also, it fits perfectly in my kettle, which makes sense as you need to supply info on the diameter of the kettle and then Jeff provides them custom made based on the dimensions of the kettle. Splurge a little on the bag and save yourself some frustration.

With a simple pulley, there is not much need to handle the hot bag, so the gloves are not needed IMHO and experience...

Also my experience, if you can hang the the bag over the kettle and let it drain with gravity, there really isn't a need to manhandle and squeeze the bag, let gravity do the work.

With a simple pulley, there is not much need to handle the hot bag, so the gloves are not needed IMHO and experience...

Also my experience, if you can hang the the bag over the kettle and let it drain with gravity, there really isn't a need to manhandle and squeeze the bag, let gravity do the work.

Even when I do RIMS, I find the gloves invaluable. There is lots of cleaning and harsh chemicals, and the gloves really help to keep my hands in good shape after a brew day. I agree that the pulley system is a good approach, especially on high gravity 10+ gallon batches.

Nice videos, that looks like a great stand that works well! I love the audio cranking the basket out of the pot! I've used winches like that to move heavy boats, the grain basket must come up like a feather.

Back