GOOD on Netflix STREAMING?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wife wanted to watch The Magicians first season, started it last night. Its a SyFy network show, wasn't horrible. Probably at least finish the first season.

As soon as I heard it was a SyFy series, it lowered my expectations. Even though everything @PaulR said seems valid so far and it is a pretty blatant rip-off of Harry Potter, I am liking it. Shows like this always seem better when you go into them with such low expectations I think.

+1 for both Travelers and The Punisher (which my phone keeps trying to correct to The Publisher).

I'm not finished yet but Season 2 of Travelers really brought it up a couple notches in my opinion.

@PaulR was on the mark and low expectations can only carry you so far. By episode 8, they are still 'exploring' the questions asked in episode 1 so they really haven't accomplished anything. The series devolved quickly to rely almost exclusively on shock value.

Devilman Crybaby is even worse. It may even beat Shakes the Clown as worst thing I have ever seen.

I've only seen an episode of Fullmetal Alchemist but it looks promising.

Caught 2 more episodes of Star Trek: Discovery last night with the kid. Dwight, from The Office guest starred. He did a good job, but I couldn't not see him as having left his desk at Dunder-Mifflin for a more exciting job on Star Trek.

Spoiler:

His character was left for dead, with him vowing revenge. So will it be a Kahn 2.0? (or actually, a Kahn: The Prequel, since this all happens Pre-TOS...)

Anyone else watch the entire "End of the F**King World" in one sitting? I enjoyed it, but I can definitely see why others might not. Also, just finished Travelers Season 1 and am ready to start season 2!

Wife and I just watched Marvelous Mrs Maisel on Amazon over the last few days. Decently written, looking forward to the second season.

Wife and I just watched Marvelous Mrs Maisel on Amazon over the last few days. Decently written, looking forward to the second season.
created by same lady who created Gilmore Girls, and has that same tone to it, with similar style dialog

which is why I compared Mrs Maisel to Lorelei, if Lorelei was a foul-mouthed Jewish housewife in the 50s who wanted to be a standup comic

created by same lady who created Gilmore Girls, and has that same tone to it, with similar style dialog

which is why I compared Mrs Maisel to Lorelei, if Lorelei was a foul-mouthed Jewish housewife in the 50s who wanted to be a standup comic

So THAT'S why it seems so familiar!

No, I couldn't watch it. I was expecting to like it, but about 20 minutes was all I could stand.

I did watch the first couple of episodes of Detroiters. My wife's work hired a comedian to entertain at their Winter Party this weekend and he is going to be in it this season. He's a pretty funny guy. Andy Beningo.

totally dig that; not everybody's bag

Yeah, GG was very popular and my wife and daughter binged it and still love it (They have Luke's Diner coffee mugs that got each other at Xmas...) I don't begrudge anyone what they like.

I just don't like the slick dialogue and everyday drama. Actually, I don't like drama much at all. Or dramas. (BSG was one big exception.)

I saw an ad for a movie recently. I think it was called Game Night. Looks like my kind of waste of time!

I binged Taken and started Continuum and really like both.

It seems like all the Netflix originals are either TV-MA or some kiddie show - nothing in between. Maybe that is by design as all the network shows tend to fall in there. In general, my kids have no interest in the shows that I like, but I hate having to shut it off if they walk in the room to ask me something.

It seems like all the Netflix originals are either TV-MA or some kiddie show - nothing in between. Maybe that is by design as all the network shows tend to fall in there. In general, my kids have no interest in the shows that I like, but I hate having to shut it off if they walk in the room to ask me something.

I am right there with you about the Netflix originals. Was watching Iron Fist all day yesterday, and my 10 yr old started watching with me. I realized soon as tame as IF is, that there were some parts that he probably shouldn't have been watching.

I've been watching Limitless. Some episodes are good, some are just ridiculous. The basic concept is cool but there are plot holes wide enough for a mining truck. Seriously, if you're that smart figure out the booster serum for yourself!

Really interested in that new show, Altered Carbon, that starts next week. Looks like a weird sci-fi type show.

Salvation. Season 1 available.

Basically, an asteroid is approaching earth and a ragtag band of tech entrepreneurs and government agents work to save the world while fending off a coup and foreign agents.

You have to accept the show's 'universe' and not ask to many questions about whether this or that is plausible. It is one heck of a good show... excellent writing, acting, and keeps you hooked. I highly recommend.

Started the first two episodes of Continuum last night. Tell me it gets better, thought the first two were really rough.

I can't remember how it started off to say if YOU will think it gets better, but I really enjoyed that series.

Anyone else watch the entire "End of the F**King World" in one sitting? I enjoyed it, but I can definitely see why others might not. Also, just finished Travelers Season 1 and am ready to start season 2!

Not quite one sitting but a couple! I really liked it but I really like dark comedy and this was on another plane of dark comedy haha.

My favorite film on netflix:
Metropolisposter.jpg

Metropolis
is a 1927 German expressionist epic science-fiction drama film directed by Fritz Lang. Scripted by Thea von Harbou, with collaboration from Lang himself,[2][3] it starred Gustav Fröhlich, Brigitte Helm, Alfred Abel and Rudolf Klein-Rogge. Erich Pommer produced it in the Babelsberg Studios for Universum Film A.G. The silent film is regarded as a pioneering work of the science-fiction genre in movies, being among the first feature-length movies of the genre.

Made in Germany during the Weimar Period, Metropolis is set in a futuristic urban dystopia and follows the attempts of Freder, the wealthy son of the city's ruler, and Maria, a poor worker, to overcome the vast gulf separating the classes of their city. Filming took place in 1925 at a cost of approximately five million Reichsmarks.[5] The art direction draws influence from Bauhaus, Cubist and Futurist design.[6]

Metropolis was met with a mixed reception upon release. Critics found it pictorially beautiful and lauded its complex special effects, but accused its story of naiveté.[7] The film's extensive running time also came in for criticism, as well as its alleged Communist message.[8]Metropolis was cut substantially after its German premiere, removing a large portion of Lang's original footage.

Numerous attempts have been made to restore the film since the 1970s. Music producer Giorgio Moroder released a truncated version with a soundtrack by rock artists such as Freddie Mercury, Loverboyand Adam Ant in 1984. A new reconstruction of Metropolis was shown at the Berlin Film Festival in 2001, and the film was inscribed on UNESCO's Memory of the World Register in the same year, the first film thus distinguished. In 2008 a damaged print of Lang's original cut of the film was found in a museum in Argentina. After a long restoration process, the film was 95% restored and shown on large screens in Berlin and Frankfurt simultaneously on 12 February 2010.

Probably been covered, but we binge watch and got hooked on The Tudors, late to the game as we are. Great storytelling, acting, direction and the writing of one mind. Great stories, terrible history but who cares. Entertainment.

In our British monarch line, starting The Crown. I like the lead, first saw her in yet another "Six Wives of Henry VIII" with Damian Lewis (Band of Brothers - another multi-pass binge) as Henry. In that series, Claire Foy played Anne Boleyn. I thought she acquitted herself very well there.

Started the first two episodes of Continuum last night. Tell me it gets better, thought the first two were really rough.

I thought it got better fast. I had the flu last week so I am in Season 4 now and not so thrilled though. Toward the end, it really turns into a Occupy commercial and you don't have anyone to root for.

Not Netflix, on Sundance Channel, gotta recommend Rosehaven. Aussie show about a guy who returns to his small hometown on Tazmania to help run his mom's real estate office. His mainland friend shows up after she's dumped on her honeymoon

Smart funny

Easily turned into a drinking game. Take a drink when:

- he has to tell anyone he goes by "Daniel"
- he says "good"
- anyone tells him he came back because he "couldn't hack it"

If you want a really stupid movie full of puns, gore and bad humor....you have to watch Turbo Kid. It's a stupid movie and I love stupid movies.

Sounds like me listening to the Brewing Network. :D

Watched cloverfield paradox lastnight, I was bored most of the way through it, nothing really grabbed my attention. I have finally decided JJ Abrams is 100% over rated.....IMO

Back