Good Ole' Stuck Fermentation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage06

Reaction score
So I brewed an Imperial IPA on 8/3 and took a 3rd reading today and it is stuck at 1.030...OG was 1.074.

Here is the full recipe:
Maris Otter Imperial

I used a washed sample of Fuller's WLP 002 that I did a 1qt then stepped up to a 2qt starter which actively fermented.

Mashed at 155 for 60 mins

Aerated with pure O2 through a diffusing stone for 60s.

Fermentation was active for 5-7 days at 65-68 degrees then just niente

The beer is as cloudy as apple cider and sitting at 1.030, shook the carboy to rouse the yeast and nothing.

As I am currently out of yeast and after some research I should get and pitch some more. Should I just toss in a vial or do a starter and pitch at high krausen?

Or just toss in a packet of 05 or 04?

I've also read about people using amalyse and beano to break down the long chain sugars to get it to dry out but have been instances of it becoming super dry.

Any advice of how to fix the problem?

Did it cool down somehow? That will cause 002 to drop like a stone. Warm it up a few degrees and see what happens.

I use a swamp cooler so the temp will flux a bit but it was consistently in the mid 60s in a large amount of water so a lot of thermal mass. Right now it is in the 70s at ambient to see if it will do, well anything

Latest posts

Back