Good half volume boil style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoBrewers

Reaction score
So I have been waiting patiently for what seems like an eternity for 10gal kettles to be restocked at my LHBS so that I can start foll volume boils. In the meantime, I have been mooching off of the excellent brewing setup of a friend. However, this friend is not around right now and I have a primary fermenter sitting in my basement, empty and sad.

My question is - I have read that the primary disadvantage to a half volume boil is increased caramelization of sugars and a loss in clarity. But since summertime is right around the corner, I am hesitant to brew a big thick stout to cover up for murky beer. So I'm thinking about a Hefeweizen extract kit that I could brew tomorrow, since it's cloudy anyway. Anyone have any other suggestions or tips for brewing the best hefeweizen possible at half volume?

Thanks!

do the late extract method. Add your extract in the last 15 minutes or so of the boil and there will be less carmelization for a lighter colored beer.

Yes, the late extract method is the best way for partial boils. Been doing it for a while now and am very pleased with the results.

Back