Good Dry Yeast For High Gravity Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewyheel

Reaction score
I'm planning on making an imperial stout soon, and haven't really made a beer this big before. OG is going to come in around 1.100. I was thinking about using WLP 007 Dry English Ale but not sure if I can make a starter big enough to handle this. Any dry yeast reccomendations instead?

Alternatively, should I get two vials of the 007 and make a couple of small starters instead?

Thanks

Hello Chewy,

WLP007 is a good choice for a high gravity stout. But, your beer would be best served with a large, healthy yeast pitch.

I have made a Russian Imperial Stout with WLP007. You could make two smaller starters like you said.

If timing isn't an issue you could have your money and do two smaller starters back to back.

Another option I commonly use is to make another beer with one vial of yeast and then use the slurry from that batch to pitch into your higher gravity beer. You can even scale the smaller beer down to a smaller batch size. I made a blonde ale and a brown ale with WLP007 prior making bigger beers.

Lastly, you could brew half the volume of high gravity stout than you had planned and use just the one vial. Perhaps even use that slurry for another beer with larger volume.

Enjoy your stout...just talking about it makes me want to open one of mine :mug::tank:

Back