Good commerical milk for cheese in Atlanta?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpilon

Reaction score
I'm just getting started in cheesemaking and I'm running into milk issues. I've had two failed batches of 30-minute mozzeralla where the curd just never really formed because the milk (one gallon from Publix and one from Costco) had been pasteurized at too high a temp. Does anyone know of a grocery store milk in the Atlanta area that will work for cheese?

Are you sure it's the milk? My wife has made plenty of batches of Mozzarella with pasteurized milk (I don't think it was the ultra-pasteurized stuff) and the couple of batches that didn't turn out were because of the rennet. We bought new rennet and used the same variety of milk and everything seemed fine.

No, I suppose it could be the rennet. For the first batch I used some old rennet tablets that had been in the fridge for a long time. When that failed I bought new tablets from my local homebrew shop but now I'm wondering how old they were....

Come to think of it, I made a really good mozzarella using Publix milk a few years ago...

Maybe I should order some liquid rennet and try again....

For pasteurized milk you really do need to add about 1/4 t of calcium chloride to replace much of the calcium that is "lost" during pasteurization. I buy my milk from a supermarket - look for the longest use by date (to find the presumed freshest batch and religiously add 1/4 t Ca Cl to each gallon. Never have problems with curds forming.

Back