Good beers for people who want the opposite of IPAs....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
light lager
russian imperial stout
saison

...not sure i see the point of this....

As far as my pallet is concerned, the furthest from IPAs are European Pilsners: no distinct bitterness, no hop flavor, no aroma. They are still enjoyable at times, but about as 180 from IPA as it gets.

Sorry, Atom, I should have mentioned it in my opening post, but I am experiencing a day of heavy multi-tasking.

My wife and a couple of friends have said that they don't like IPAs because of the in-your-face bitterness (presumably from the hops). I am looking for alternatives (i.e., not "overly-bitter") that will allow me to introduce them to good and unique home-brews that showcase the great things about home-brewing and perhaps foster some interest.

This goes double for the wife, who is currently asking why in the nether hell I can't simply go down to the Quick-Mart and pick up some Milwaukee's Best (or whatever)........

Thanks folks for the replies so far - I love the humorous ones and am also taking the suggestions under advisement! :mug:

The opposite of an IPA is a negative IPA.

If I multiply negative IPA by negative IPA, I get IPA.

Face it, you can't get away from IPA.

You lost me at multiply. Math is hard.

Before my absurd addiction to IPA's happened, I was totally in love with Witbier and Hefeweizen. I still enjoy a UFO now and then (their pumpkin is crazy) and Hoegaarden, so good. Otherwise I usually go straight for Victory Hop Devil after work. My friends that hate hops all seem to love the fruity wheat beers, Ellicotville Brewing Company has a decent blueberry wheat they seem to tend towards quite often. Good luck.

How about a standard english bitter. Doesn't have to be too bitter, usually about 25IBU's works well with a 4% ABV grain bill

Not necessarily: the grain and yeast provide flavors as well.
Some would say it's harder to make a good beer with minimal bittering, hop flavor, and hop aroma because those can easily hide the problems in a beer.

:rolleyes:

Sorry, I guess I should have put the <sarcasm> indicator on my statement. Like this:

<sarcasm> Thanks for the information. I didn't realize that grain and yeast contributed to the flavor of beer. </sarcasm>

And yes, some would say it is harder to make good beer with minimal bittering, hop flavor, and hop aroma. Of course, those people that usually say that also "usually" claim to not like IPAs. <sarcasm> So you have to really question their judgement because of that. </sarcasm> :D

:rolleyes:

Sorry, I guess I should have put the <sarcasm> indicator on my statement. Like this:

:D

Drats, my Sheldon Cooper side showed through, how did I miss the sarcasm. I'll blame it on the timezone, I'm in Europe right now so it's 9:30pm and I've had a few German craft beers.

Sorry, Atom, I should have mentioned it in my opening post, but I am experiencing a day of heavy multi-tasking.

My wife and a couple of friends have said that they don't like IPAs because of the in-your-face bitterness (presumably from the hops). I am looking for alternatives (i.e., not "overly-bitter") that will allow me to introduce them to good and unique home-brews that showcase the great things about home-brewing and perhaps foster some interest.

This goes double for the wife, who is currently asking why in the nether hell I can't simply go down to the Quick-Mart and pick up some Milwaukee's Best (or whatever)........

Despite what many neophytes desire and what a lot of cheap "craft" breweries make, a good IPA will not be overly bitter. With that being said some styles aren't for everyone, even if they are trying very good examples. The great thing about beer is that every style is quite different, I'd just start giving them good beer and not tell them what it is, it seems like they have some hang ups about what they think they like.

Based on the initial post I would have said a porter, maybe a Baltic porter. Something dark rich and creamy. Maybe a milk stout.

But after the clarification that we're talking about people new to craft beer entirely I would go for a saison, kolsch or almost any German style. There are plenty of light colored beers with little hop bitterness.

Given time you could even perfect an "IPA" that they would enjoy. If they dislike bitterness you could still hit them with a late boil hop bomb that gives all the floral aromas and fruity flavors of hops without the bitterness.

Go for the Scottish Ales, They are malt forward and there are a lot of great options.

Oskar blues - Old Chub
Belhaven - Wee Heavy
Founders - Dirty Bastard
Cigar City - Big Sound
Odell - 90 Shilling

Theres a world of beer outside of IPAs, and I think its a bad reaction when someone says they dont like IPAs to go directly to fruit beer or blonde ale. Pretty much anything english, german, or belgian, doesnt have the high IBUs and grapefruit hops of an american IPA.

And they may even like the more reasonable english IPA, with say goldings hops, or an ESB, which is plenty hoppy.

But a few compromise beers, which are interesting to make, and crowd pleasers that everyone seems to like: Dunkelweizen, northern english brown, brown porter, esb, belgian dubbel, tripel, biere de garde, saison, bock, munich dunkel, etc.

My Sunset gold APA would be a good one. Very sessionable. Or my BuckIPA, a very sessionable AE brew. Or Northern Brewer's Petite saison de ete' E/SG kit. Or my Hopped & Confused v2 hybrid lager. It tastes like a Euro or German lager fermented at ale temps.

My Sunset gold APA would be a good one. Very sessionable. Or my BuckIPA, a very sessionable AE brew. Or Northern Brewer's Petite saison de ete' E/SG kit. Or my Hopped & Confused v2 hybrid lager. It tastes like a Euro or German lager fermented at ale temps.

I'll take two of each Sunset Gold APA and BuckIPA.

I gotta re-brew those older recipes. I have the latest one, A partial mash beer, Cougar Country IPA I named for the mountain in Corley, WV that bares our surname. That one is like a good commercial IPA crossed with Pliny the Elder with it's resiny qualities. If I brew'em again, maybe you'd like to try before you buy? :D

To my mind, opposite an IPA is a malt-forward brew.
So, I think Irish Reds, Oktoberfests and Viennas, Scottish ales, English Browns.
Then not so malt-forward, but definitely not bitter- cream ales, American lagers of course, and American wheats like Wayne's Blue Moon clone.
Then pretty much any of the Belgian styles will be non-hoppy, but they have their own unique flavors that are hard to get used to for some.
If it helps, my wife who really does not like a "bitter" beer loves my Irish Red and Blue Moon, as well as the marzen styles.

To my mind, opposite an IPA is a malt-forward brew.
So, I think Irish Reds, Oktoberfests and Viennas, Scottish ales, English Browns.
Then not so malt-forward, but definitely not bitter- cream ales, American lagers of course, and American wheats like Wayne's Blue Moon clone.
Then pretty much any of the Belgian styles will be non-hoppy, but they have their own unique flavors that are hard to get used to for some.
If it helps, my wife who really does not like a "bitter" beer loves my Irish Red and Blue Moon, as well as the marzen styles.

I agree with this. I would also add Bock and Doppelbock to the list. Stouts and Porters would be an obvious choice as well, given that Imperial Stouts and Russian Imperial Stouts generally share the same limelight as the IPA/IIPA world in beer rating circles.

I forgot to list the latest love of my afternoon- Morebeer's ESB-E/SG kit. wonderful balance between hop bittering & flavor & the light flavored toasty malty character. Great light amber/orange color too! I love it just the way it is so much I bought another kit to get another batch going. Not too bitter, not too malty, not too hoppy. Just a great session beer! Let's go0 drink some BEEEEEEEER!!:rockin:

Last edited by a moderator:
...This goes double for the wife, who is currently asking why in the nether hell I can't simply go down to the Quick-Mart and pick up some Milwaukee's Best (or whatever)........

LOL... My wife said the same thing the other night. I was going on about whether I was going to build a fermentation chamber or buy an old frig or this that and the other... She said; why do you have to complicate your life? Just go down to the store and buy your beer! :(

Good luck! But I don't think they will ever quite understand... :mug:

I always give out a Kolsh to friends wanting to try my home stuff. It's not even close to anything from BMC, and isn't overpowering. Then, if they like it and ask for something along the lines of more bitterness, I go for the pale ale. It's got some kick without the overabundance of hops in an IPA or a IIPA.

Sierra Nevada pale ale, or Oscar Blues Dale's Pale Ale are two of my favorite pale ales of late.

Based on the initial post I would have said a porter, maybe a Baltic porter. Something dark rich and creamy. Maybe a milk stout.

I originally recommended a hefe, but, you know, I'm saluting that. My wife isn't too much of a fan of the IPAs either, but she will put a hurting on some stout. Maybe it is time for me to appease her and brew up one of those.

Pilsner Urquell
Hofbräu Dunkel
Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
Paulaner Oktoberfest

und so weiter...

how about the Pliny, Two Hearted, Haymaker, eggs, sausage, Furious and Abrasive? that doesn't have much IPA in it.

*sings* IPA, IPA, IPA, IPA!:rockin:

Go for the Scottish Ales, They are malt forward and there are a lot of great options.

Oskar blues - Old Chub
Belhaven - Wee Heavy
Founders - Dirty Bastard
Cigar City - Big Sound
Odell - 90 Shilling

I totally agree - I actually don't like the style much because they are so sweet and malty.

How about some type of Lambic, a Kriek maybe? Give em da bubbly

I know I love a good Lambic or Flemish to change it up. Tho we have plenty of Cantillion around here

Recommed reading English Ales post here.

My preference, to quote from the temple of Apollo at Delphi, "Nothing Too Much". I like balance...ok, I like malty caramel notes, but I prefer anything balanced over anything overly roasty/sweet/bitter/hoppy(not same as bitter necessarily).

Preference is an amazing thing--some love spicey, some not; some crave citrus hops, some earthy; sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

Back