Good article on the declining sales of BMC..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most interesting to me is the decline in imports, as people realize that Heineken, Corona, etc. are merely imported BMC.

Most interesting to me is the decline in imports, as people realize that Heineken, Corona, etc. are merely imported BMC.

True, they're on the same quality level of BMC except from a different country. What most people don't know is that the majority of these beers all fall under the same corporate umbrella (InBev, SABMiller, etc.)

I hope the "buy local groceries" logic shifts to beer more and more so that we'll continue to have great micro brews that will continue to thrive.

One thing that makes me sad is that Guiness is down 7%....I love Smithwick's and getting to enjoy Guiness more and more...:(

Yuengling is up 12%...here is to Americas oldest brewery.

Very interesting to hear. We have the same scenario playing out here in NZ with the big brewers sales declining. Of course they're all (well both, there's really only 2) firing back with their own "craft beer" brands, of which Macs has some pretty good beers.
It's great to see the movement growing. We're getting more and more craft brewers starting here all the time, makes for an interesting beer "landscape" where 10 years ago it was all Export Gold, Speights or if you were flash, Steingrenades (Steinlager), now most major liquor stores have at least a small range of the bigger NZ craft beers, and usually a reasonable choice of internationals too.

So Sam Adams and Yuengling are no longer 'craft' breweries. I can officially say I like a few macrobrews!

Beer is becoming the "in" thing -- which requires shifting from whatever was popular to whatever can make you look like a snob. It's the same thing that happened when people threw out their folgers in the morning to stop on the way to work at Starbucks.

I think homebrewing will also get thrown into the fad.

While I think it's a good thing that people are expanding their horizons and more people are expanding their tastes, the craze will inevitably draw in people trying to make a quick buck by slapping together ****ty brew kits and BMC-like "craft" brews that will oversaturate and ultimately crowd out a lot of good craft brews and opportunities for people to try really good beer.

That doesn't surprise me at all. I think it's cool that more money is being funneled to smaller, privately owned companies.

I noticed 3-4 years ago that major beer companies were making their "microbrewed beer". I.E. Blue Moon (Coors) and Anheiser-Busch released a line of beers with cheesy labels that were supposed to be organic and microbrewed. I noticed that hidden on the label that A-B is the parent company.

I don't know who owns them, but I think Michelob has a good line of inexpensive craft beers. They don't do much to hide that it's released by Michelob.

Either way, cool article.

Well, BMC has lost my ~$4000 dollars a year due to a switch to craft beers, so I'm sure thats where their revenue loss is coming from

"I don't know who owns them, but I think Michelob has a good line of inexpensive craft beers. They don't do much to hide that it's released by Michelob."

Anheuser Busch used to own them, not sure if they still do. Those Michelob Craft Packs are partly the cause of my switch to craft beer over the last year or so. I've seen a couple of theirs rated pretty well in beer mags.

Q: What do they call PBR in Mexico?

A: Corona

Surprised to see Yuengling even considered as a recent craft brew. I believe they've been pumping barrels across the east coast for years. Still my favorite (enjoying a Black and Tan now) cheap beer.

I don't think a couple percentage drops for BMC is going to hurt them. They'll whip up some new ad campaigns or trot out the clydesdale. The "SuperBowl" is like Xmas to BMC, they will recoup all losses there. :)

I do agree about the Heineken post. I took a tour of the factory back in college and I remember the beer tasting significantly better. In addition, Pilsner Urquel had a better flavor. Most European beers just taste better over there. I'm assuming they're a lot fresher.

I am curious of what they do to the beer to preserve it during the (I'm assuming) boat ride across the Atlantic.

I would agree that the Michalob craft line helped me get into craft brews. Sure I have found much better beers. But as a former BMC drinker, these provided a nice gateway. Especially since in most stores I have seen, they are right next to the Bud and Coors, rather than next to the craft stuff. And I kinda dig how they have the explanation thing on the side of the box that shows the hops, malt and color:
M37_beerDescript_Marzen.jpg

While I'm not a fan of the skunky green bottles, if you've ever had Heineken on tap in Amsterdam you would not call it BMC.

Maybe this is silly, but after drinking Heineken out of the fridge keg, I know what you mean.

But I am very happy to see that craft beer is on the rise. I hope homebrewing is on the rise too! It should be. I'm proud to say that in 2009, I introduced 3 of my friends into the hobby.

I'm just scared to death that the scum bag politicians are gonna figure out how much tax $ they are loosing on us home brewers no longer buying bmc and put new taxes on our ingredients. God forbid...

Surprised to see Yuengling even considered as a recent craft brew. I believe they've been pumping barrels across the east coast for years.

I've long thought that Yuengling had pulled off a remarkable marketing coup by being considered a craft brew. I think its every bit as nasty as Bud or any of that stuff.

"Beer is becoming the "in" thing -- which requires shifting from whatever was popular to whatever can make you look like a snob. It's the same thing that happened when people threw out their folgers in the morning to stop on the way to work at Starbucks."

I don't think that is has anything to do with being snobby - it has to do with taste. People threw out their Foldgers and started drinking Starbucks because once you have tasted Starbucks (or good local coffee) you realize that you had been duped into drinking crap coffee for years because you simply didn't know any better. The same generally holds true for beer. We drank BMC (in my neck of the woods it was Schlitz/PBR/Hamms) because that is what our dad's drank along with everyone else. When we eventually came across smaller breweries that were producing beer with flavor (Point Beer - Stevens Point, Wisc. was one of my favorites to this day) everything changed.

I remember when they first started importing Heineken into this country. As bad as it often was/is because of the aging issue (skunky) it at least had flavor which made it an immediate hit.

People in this country are finally realizing that food/drink is not necessarily something that you merely shove into your gullet to fill up. Quality and taste are important to a larger number of people as is a testament to the growth in the craft beer industry. Montanaandy

I'm just scared to death that the scum bag politicians are gonna figure out how much tax $ they are loosing on us home brewers no longer buying bmc and put new taxes on our ingredients. God forbid...

I doubt this will ever happen. I think the crazy taxes are because its alcohol, and you cant get drunk off a bag of hops. All of the ingredients in beer are used in other things too so that would just be silly. I cant imagine paying like 25$ for a bowl of beef and barley soup.

I hope the "buy local groceries" logic shifts to beer more and more so that we'll continue to have great micro brews that will continue to thrive.

I think this is beginning to happen. I'm seeing more of our local brews on the shelves at the beer stores here. I've also found myself buying the IPA and Red Ale from the local brewery over many of the non-local breweries. It helps that our local breweries, Marble for example, put out some fine beers...

But I am very happy to see that craft beer is on the rise. I hope homebrewing is on the rise too! It should be. I'm proud to say that in 2009, I introduced 3 of my friends into the hobby.

I think I started about three people at work as well. I may have a few more converts after the party last night. Lot's of interest in how it works. I had all my equipment lined up with labels on it, a how-to book I made on-line and printed for free with a coupon, and six home brews on tap.

I don't think that is has anything to do with being snobby - it has to do with taste. People threw out their Foldgers and started drinking Starbucks because once you have tasted Starbucks (or good local coffee) you realize that you had been duped into drinking crap coffee for years because you simply didn't know any better.

I disagree. Starbucks makes absolutely terrible coffee.

I still get laughs when I say I typically try to buy California beer to help the state economy, as if I were joking.

I enjoyed reading the article though.

Beer is becoming the "in" thing -- which requires shifting from whatever was popular to whatever can make you look like a snob. It's the same thing that happened when people threw out their folgers in the morning to stop on the way to work at Starbucks.

Starbucks is one hell of a long lasting fad then, as they started expanding from the original location in 1987 :mug:

Starbucks is one hell of a long lasting fad then, as they started expanding from the original location in 1987 :mug:

Still, I've seen a lot of Starbucks around here get replaced by Dunkin Donuts recently. A 24oz coffee at DD is 1.69

I would agree, but a crappy espresso is still better than a cup of Folgers.

EDIT: Damn, I can't believe I'm talkin' coffee in a beer thread. I'll try to salvage the post with this tidbit:

Schlafly makes an awesome espresso stout!!

I don't think that is has anything to do with being snobby - it has to do with taste. People threw out their Foldgers and started drinking Starbucks because once you have tasted Starbucks (or good local coffee) you realize that you had been duped into drinking crap coffee for years because you simply didn't know any better.

So your saying that Folgers is as good as Starbucks? You may not like Starbucks, but it is far from terrible coffee.

Back