Golfball in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic2887

Reaction score
So ******* of the year award goes to... me. I was brewing an American Pale Ale in my garage. I was about 45 minutes into the boil and waiting on my last hop addition. Of corse, I cant just sit an relax drinking homebrew like an normal homebrewer. I was dicking around with a golf ball and it bounced right into my kettle. I got it out after about 4 minutes of fishing. The ball had some minor melting marks on it. Still had the Nike symbol on it and everything. Internet says golf balls are made of thermoplastic. I think I am good??? I don't want to drink this if it is dangerous though. I definitely cant afford to loose any more brain cells. lol. Any advice?? Pics of the golf ball are attached. Thank you!

IMG_4244.jpg

IMG_4245.jpg

How about Duffer Pale Ale brought to you by the My Balls Have Dimples Brewery. I say, mash it, brew it, taste it. If it's drinkable, it's a keeper.

My Balls have Dimples Brewery

that is a classic, That has Style, and because of how it came around that has History

if the OP does not name his Brewery that he has no sense of humor

So you were playing with you balls while drinking and ended up dipping them in the wrong stew....been there

I never had to actually fish them out but came damn close a few times

The real question is, what does this do for your golf game?

I say throw the ball out immediately. God forbid if you eagle the first hole you use that ball for you'll be dry hopping with your balls for luck.

Good thought, but I definitely have to keep the ball as a conversation piece! lol Ill just use that ball for putt putt! hahaha

Good thought, but I definitely have to keep the ball as a conversation piece! lol Ill just use that ball for putt putt! hahaha
keep it, oh hell yea
that ball is now part of a signature beer only you can brew, without it you cannot brew that beer:mug::mug:

See what you started?

The Food & Drug Administration's recall notice says that McCain Foods USA, Inc. has voluntarily recalled frozen hash browns sold under the Harris Teeter and Roundy's brands because they may be "contaminated with extraneous golf ball materials, that despite our stringent supply standards may have been inadvertently harvested with potatoes."

hash-browns-recalled-for-possible-contamination-with-golf-balls

Here's my question, why and the hell did I not get this until now? 21 days late, I may as well unsubscribe. Great goof up though. I suggest buying floating balls.

"I don't want to drink this if it is dangerous though. I definitely cant afford to loose any more brain cells."

You're a golfer. What's a few more?

You folks aren't asking the right question. It all depends on the cover Shore-C hardness (spin) and the dimple pattern (flight), as well as the overall compression of the ball (marketing crap).
Seriously though, I may have been out of the golf R&D biz for a decade, but covers are ionomer thermoplastic resins typically overcoated with epoxy or urethane clear coat. I doubt the contact time would allow anything that residual pesticides to come off, what little there might have been. I'm sure you're fine.

You might be on to something. What flavor did it add? Mud, grass, pine or oak tree aroma?

If you had used the ball, it may have a number of herbicides or even pesticides on it, in which case I'd be leery of using the beer afterwards.
But then I used to know a fellow who used to put his golf balls in his mouth between holes, and he is still alive some 35 years later, so it might not matter.
If it hasn't been used, then you should be fine. :mug:

I don't want to drink this if it is dangerous though.

Under no circumstances should you drink this beer! Package up the fermentation vessel after it has reached its FG and deliver it to my place. I'll seal the golf ball infected liquid in an air-tight metal container (corny key) and keep it in a temperature and pressure controlled environment (kegerator) for further testing and analysis. It's the least I can do for your safety.

Back