Golden color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duttonjc

Reaction score
I'm on my second batch of beer ever. I making a copper cerveza . It is a little dark than I would like. How do I golden it up?

at this point, all you can do to lighten it up is add water, but why would you want to water down a beer if you've hit your numbers (I assume youve hit your numbers)?

Dont worry about the color.

when I first started, I was using extract in split boils, which causes the wort to caramelize much more than if you were to use one brew pot to boil your wort. Not sure what your setup is, but that was my experience.

Even doing full boils your extract batches will always be a bit darker than the recipe specifies. I really think it's from the fact that the extract itself is slightly caramelized from the process of being reduced into extract.

It's only color... your beer is still beer. :)

If you're using LME & boil all of it,that's your problem. It caramelizes pretty easy. DME not so much. I do partial boils with 1.5-2lbs plain DME,adding remaing DME & all the LME at flame out.
Since pasteurization happens at 162F,the wort is still hot enough at 180F+ to do the job. Anyway,it'll be lighter colored & cleaner flavored. Especially if you control ferment temps & chill the wort down in 20 minutes or less.

Back