Golden Blood Buzz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewster2256

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has done something similar. I have an idea of brewing a beer with beets/carrots/turmeric/ginger; like a health drink but with low quantities of alcohol. The following is a recipe I threw together for a 5-6 gallon batch. The Veggies (carrots/ginger/turmeric/lemons/beets) would be juiced, and the resulting mulch mashed with the 2-row and oats. The juice from the veggies would be added at end of boil. The citric acid is to lower the pH of our water supply to ~ 5.2. I imagine the resulting color will be deep-ruby red with hints of orange/yellow. I believe the O.G will be around 1.030 but it's hard to be sure with the veggies. I'll be using a grainfather brew system and a 7 gallon SS-Brewtech with a brewjacket for fermentation control. I use San Diego Super Yeast as my house yeast, and I'll ferment at around 67F-69F. Any thoughts/Suggestions?

2 lbs Carrots (juiced and mulch) (2.0 SRM) G
2 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain
2 lbs Red Beets (juiced) (20.0 SRM)
1 lbs Oats, Malted (1.0 SRM)
1.50 g Citric Acid (Mash)
1.50 g Citric Acid (Sparge)
1 lbs Apple Juice concentrate [Boil]
0.50 oz Black pepper (Boil 5.0 mins)
2.00 Items Lemons Zest and Juice (Boil)
4.00 oz Turmeric Root (Juice and Mulch) (Boil)
2.00 oz Ginger Root (juiced and mulch) (Boil)

Back