Going to make my own grain mill, figured Id see if anyone else needs one!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really have much trouble there. My wife likes the beer enough I can buy pretty much whatever I want within reason.

"Reason" being defined by an amount less than our income by enough margin to not interfere with regular meals, keeping the electric/water/cable on, and not significantly impacting her shopping budget.

We live far enough within our means that I can get away with spending the money to do things pretty well. Not the fanciest stuff, or even probably the next fanciest.

Hell, let's just avoid the word "fancy". I'm more of a "does it work? Okay, does spending twice as much make the beer twice as good or half the work?" kind of guy.

I must admit the wife became more supportive of the hobby, in the beginning she wasn't thrilled until she had friends homebrews plus later noted the prices of foreign and dark biers I like.
We maintain within our needs, the cat eats first LOL. I got the go ahead to purchase future needed brewing items just not all at once.

On "fancy" I tend to go the extra step $$$ on quality items buy once good not twice like increasing brewery sizes in many steps just go big in gallonage once, well twice sold the last one now knowing what I want.
My past track record 35+ years entering show original competition of Norton's Matchless and BMW's the wife knows project overrun costs are more than initally quoted, can't BS the receipt pile.
Far as "fancy" make it neat but not gaudy.

To make a mill in the $100 range would be impossible unless machine work and materials were for free aka made in China or the love of machining, ain't going to happen. Plenty of disclosures about safety, aka CYA the manufacture.
Hats off to a new mill in the making, BTW I see the knurling tips are knocked down on mills these days to prevent excessive grain shredding.

London is real close to me - but i already have this ugly brute(and it still cost over $100.00 even with a free electric motor)

I made two. The one I kept worked ok to start. I did end up having to add gears to make sure the idle roller will catch grain. And if I built another, I'd try to figure out a better adjustment system than the eccentric. But it works and TBH I haven't adjusted the gap since I first set it up.

Part of the problem is I am an IT guy and designing is fun, but not my forte. Another problem is I'm an IT guy and not a machinist!

rod, that looks like it came from the new TV show of those Alaskan gold miners. Build strong like a cleaning lady, gets the job done.

"Strong like a cleaning lady" - I like that. Sounds even better in my head if I drop the "a" and use a Russian accent.

right now im in the middle of making mine in the machine shop at school..... i designed mine a little differently than most, im trying a concept that you only have to turn the knob on one side to adjust the gap.... my rollers are out of 1 - 1/2 306 SS (that stuff is a B%#*ch to machine because it case hardens so fast, use carbide~ which you should already know) its a two roller mill, here is a link i previously made asking questions about it, and for picture sake
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/design-monster-mill-barley-crusher-213706/

as for me minus time to produce one (my time is worthless due to having fun making this and no job) its costing me about $50.00. But when figuring out what it would cost to make it, you also have to assume time for machining, and electricity cost if your willing to sell them, unless you just don't care about that.

306 stainless??? You mean 316? If so your crazy for using that stuff. 303 is plenty good enough for corrosion resistance and twice as easy to machine.

Not sure how your adjustment works on that roller. Is the opposite bushing just really loose? Can you adjust during milling?

And I know your in a school shop ( not trying to be rude) but out here no one uses hss cutters. Only carbide. Well, except for taps.

yah, i figured but i didnt know your situation if you where in a garage or what not... i used 304 (my bad typo, dont know what i was thinking) because it was cheaper than 316 and on a rockwell hardness 10 less but 10 more than 1018. i was basing everything off on that steel for hardness, for wear resistance over time.

my adjustment is like a cam inside there is a rod going through the center with bushings that the roller rides on, then on the rod in there is an off center drill at .045 on both sides that will give me a gap rate from .015 (spacing difference accounted for on the center drilling on housing) to .105 from side to side. at .045 it will be also .045 upwards but i figured that would not be a problem.

if you refer back to that page soon that i posted, ill post pictures of the progress so far, since i only work on the damn thing for about 2 hours a week at most and there is 1 hour in there for clean up and set up + trying to find things that i need.. pain in the butt

if you reallly want, i can get a screen shot of my model so that you can see the cam + i have drawings for most of the parts that i created. (just fyi, so that you have trust in what im doing, i have a degree in mechanical engineering, this isnt to be cocky or anything, just to express i (somewhat) know what im doing.)

I'd be very interested in seeing how that adjustment works. I would maybe build another mill with that type of system if I could dig up some scrap parts again.

yah, i figured but i didnt know your situation if you where in a garage or what not... i used 304 (my bad typo, dont know what i was thinking) because it was cheaper than 316 and on a rockwell hardness 10 less but 10 more than 1018. i was basing everything off on that steel for hardness, for wear resistance over time.

my adjustment is like a cam inside there is a rod going through the center with bushings that the roller rides on, then on the rod in there is an off center drill at .045 on both sides that will give me a gap rate from .015 (spacing difference accounted for on the center drilling on housing) to .105 from side to side. at .045 it will be also .045 upwards but i figured that would not be a problem.

if you refer back to that page soon that i posted, ill post pictures of the progress so far, since i only work on the damn thing for about 2 hours a week at most and there is 1 hour in there for clean up and set up + trying to find things that i need.. pain in the butt

if you reallly want, i can get a screen shot of my model so that you can see the cam + i have drawings for most of the parts that i created. (just fyi, so that you have trust in what im doing, i have a degree in mechanical engineering, this isnt to be cocky or anything, just to express i (somewhat) know what im doing.)

or you could just email me your solidworks file? dont worry, im not gonna steal your idea. Ive got something thought up already, just have to make sure I can make it on budget.

mine is an inventor file... .ipt or one of those... im not sure what i would need to convert it to.. i think step.. but im not sure if it would convert fully

I wish you guys would hurry up and figure it out. The machined parts in a box is all that I would want. Chop Chop too it! (So i can buy one from you)
Snake10

I wish you guys would hurry up and figure it out. The machined parts in a box is all that I would want. Chop Chop too it! (So i can buy one from you)
Snake10

I second the motion for the OP to get it in GEAR! Make the only tools needed to assemble it Allen wrenches. :D +5 points for cool factor...

If this isn't going to happen in a decent time frame, then some of us need to know. That way we can get a mill and start crushing grain... :mug:

I second the allen head idea. (countersunk). Come on Rustbucket, you have us all worked up now. I'll build a hopper and place it on a table my self. I love the original sketch. We're counting on you! Even if its just one unit.
Snake 10

i did take pictures of mine today, of the the progress i have made on it.. it will soon be done.. i have the hard parts done!, just a few more things to make and it will be set... but im still waiting to hear from mrfurlly... hes the one going to make all these

could always give you a sneak peak at what i have so far.... really tease you!

rustbucket, I see words, but no proof... ;)

How long before we can start testing these bad mamba-jamba's?? Any idea of price point for them?

Doesn't matter to me if they come assembled, or not. If assembled, then include some kind of break-down diagram for when we want/need to clean them. If not assembled, then we'll need some solid documentation on what goes where...

but im not the one making them, i that would be mrfurlly... i was just helping him get an idea of his whole thing.. :p

plus my whole thing is for easy disassembly too for cleaning.. most of the disassembley is with treads

ill post photos later when i get them put on my computer/ resize them they are 12.5 mega pixil right now...

yes... but image shack doesn't allow over a given size....

my camera is only a beginners DSLR..... :( but to most of those point and shoots it huge! (thats what she said.. giggity)

remember im still a broke college student....

With all of you being brewers, Id figure you guys would have more patience :)

The design is in the works. I think there will be 2 diffent ones. One where money doesnt matter, the second on the cheaper side just to see what guys are more interested in. Also I have to make a few decisions in regards to the materials and parts. For instance, alot of you say you want to be able to dissassemble, but you dont want oilite or bronze bushings. Properly fitted ball bearings are not meant to be taken on or off of shafts or in and out of bores repeatedly. Damage can occur to the bearing. I also need to weigh pros and cons of stainless rollers vs hardened steel vs plain steel rollers...ie costs of manufacture plus costs of heat treat. We could make each differnet type of roller an option, at a different price point.

I agree, all fasteners should use the same wrench or allen key. Nothing I hate more than 6 different sized bolts in project! Specially when they mix inch and metric :mad: anyways.....

I hope to be finished up the design by this weekend then we'll go from there. So get your wish lists up now, while I can still make changes!

i would be interested in what you come up with mrfurlly. as for mine, i will put it into a step file so that you can view it pm me your email and ill send it your way.. note mine would be all in inches and fixed to relative size and diameters of my material

the only con of why i did not go with a regular steel was that the fear of rusting, due to it would sit in my garage during the winter. so i kept most of my stuff on mine to something that does not. i was considering using 1018 machine it then heat treat, and or 1144 (i think that is what it is) its stupidly hard.

I like the idea of partial DIY... three of my favorite words are "some assembly required".

As far as allen wrench or whatever, I don't really care. I got tools. If I come across a job I don't have tools for it doesn't bother me - that's an excuse to buy MORE tools.

"I'll be back in a bit hon, I need a whatcha-ma-call-it wrench for the doohickey. If you need anything from Lowe's (yeah, right) let me know."

I'd be happy getting an inventor file. I "think" I can convert it to SW...

Plus you could export out of that in IGES, Parasolid, STEP, etc... Not sure what inventor uses for a native format. SW is parasolid.

I'm just curious to see how the adjustment works.

Trust me, if you don't come up with 250 of these in a week at $45 apiece you will be the most hated guy on here. Just remember you offered.

I have a mill, so i'll sit back and watch the carnage.:mug:

Historically, threads such as this tend to die on the vine with the OP never being heard from again. The lack of pics reinforces my skepticism. OTOH, I really would like to see the project succeed with at least a working prototype.

I'd be happy getting an inventor file. I "think" I can convert it to SW...

Plus you could export out of that in IGES, Parasolid, STEP, etc... Not sure what inventor uses for a native format. SW is parasolid.

I'm just curious to see how the adjustment works.

i remember i have to change the format to something... when i had to go from inventor at home to solid works at school, i beleive it was a step.

inventor is an .iam for assembly, and .ipt for individual parts.

i just woke up :cross: at 11:45 eastern so if you guys give me an hour or so, ill post photos of where my project stands right now and an image of "my" design for adjustable.

My brother in law ( God Bless him ) is planning to build a mill for me, and then drink some of my home brew beer. I will be documenting his Solid Works design and some photos of the finished mill, and pouring beer.
As I am a pre-beginner all grain guy, my mill will be set up for my little needs, and my little 3/8 electric drill, and infrequent use. :mug:

for me due it is free other than materials...

ok this is the profile of the rod i was talking about and how it looks, as you see on the knob i created a profile of where a screw or something to lock it down would ride so you can over turn it, after it becomes assembled im going to scribe the knob with increments
profilej.png

this one is the rod its self and the off set
therod.png

this is when the rod is through the roller riding on bushing around the rod
assemlby.png

i will be placing the photos as i go if anyone would like to see my progress (this is not to steal the thunder of the OP) just giving ideas out

I hope to be finished up the design by this weekend then we'll go from there. So get your wish lists up now, while I can still make changes!

With a past life working in a machine shop for R & D besides production I have patience. Quality products take time, no worries from this end.

true.. im a bit tipsy from drinking some pub brew/ home brew / to 2 year old aged chocolate stout (sam adams)....

good things happen to those who wait...

that is a cool rebuild., the only reason im not doing ball bearings is that im trying to create mine on a low budge <$50

I been meaning to start buying grains in bulk and getting a mill. Would definitely be interested in getting one/testing one. I think it is a good idea. I wish I brewed when my parents owned there machine shop. Between all the spare metal, CNC/automatic millers, I would of been set.

I been meaning to start buying grains in bulk and getting a mill. Would definitely be interested in getting one/testing one. I think it is a good idea. I wish I brewed when my parents owned there machine shop. Between all the spare metal, CNC/automatic millers, I would of been set.

Now that sucks your loss of freedom in the machine shop, dang any machinery kept in the family? Even just a lathe and Bridgeport can fit in a garage.

Back