going Small Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txpitmaster

Reaction score
a few questions on going Small Batch route.

1. If I use and extract recipe that calls for say 5lbs of liquid extract for 5 gallon, and convert recipe to 1 gallon, can I freeze the other 4 gallons for use later? I havent seen any of the liquids at my LHBS that have 1lb cans.

2. Do I need to use a 1 or 2 gallon fermenter or can I use one of my 5 gallons? too much headspace?

3. It seems the way to go is all grain or partial since its so small not a lot of extra equipment will be needed. Can you reuse hop and grain bags if you go that route?

Any other tips? Ill be going to partial and full grain mostly for 1 gallon so I many need more equipment since my 5gallon set up is extract and mead right now.

My $.02
1. You can do this but liquid extract is a royal pain to measure or weigh out. I would suggest getting dry extract for this.
2. You can use the 5 gallon fermenter. Head space is not really an issue for a primary fermenter. Fermentation generates way more CO2 than you think and it will all be CO2 in the head space if you are using an air lock. However, I suggest stopping by a local bakery or the bakery department in a grocery store. Ask for frosting buckets. They are usually 2-3 gallon food grade buckets. Fill with water and baking soda to soak up the frosting flavor then use as your fermenters. Most stores give them away.

3. I have reused hop and grain bags many times. Should not be any issues.

1. Yes. Just put a piece of plastic wrap right on top of the surface of the extract to keep oxygen from getting in.

2. I would think the big fermenter would be OK as long as you aren't aging for a long time, but it can never hurt to have an extra 1 G fermenter.

3. Yes, yes, and yes. A typical grain bag is fine for 1G batches but too small for 2G batches. If you want to do 2G batches, you will want a nylon pain strainer bag.

To me 2G is perfect. 1G just doesn't make enough beer to be worth the effort. 2G takes care of my beer needs for a month or more but it's small enough that I can make on the stovetop, no need for a mash tun or big pot & burner.

To me 2G is perfect. 1G just doesn't make enough beer to be worth the effort. 2G takes care of my beer needs for a month or more but it's small enough that I can make on the stovetop, no need for a mash tun or big pot & burner.

+1. In my early brewing days I did lots of 1 gallon batches as experiments. 3 gallons of wort split into 3 1 gallon and use different yeasts to see what each yeast contributed, things like that. The problem with 1 gallon for actual consumption is your % loss (in the siphon line, etc) is very high because your starting amount is so little. Back of the napkin expect 10 beers per gallon on a 5 gallon batch but you might only get 7 or 8 on a 1 gallon batch. You are taking a 10-20% loss at that rate. 2 gallons it get cut in half because your loss is a constant.

thanks for the suggestions and input. I was looking at taking my extract recepiece and trying to switch them to all DME trying to find a DME that is close to SRM ect thinking that would come close and try to adjust amount. I remember reading its a little more DME vs liquid.

For every pound of liquid you use .84 pounds of dry.
Dry has more sugar per pound than liquid (liquid has more water taking up weight/volume)

Last edited:
Back