Going semi-pro advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calebstringer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, I wasn't quite sure what forum to put this in, so I apologize if it isn't in the right spot.

I am in the process of starting up a BBQ catering company. I have already had many requests for my home-brew. Is there a legal way to do this? I realize id need ttb license, but thats all the info I do know.

IF this is possible, my goal isn't to sell beer at vending events. But it would be a menu item for private catering parties/weddings/etc.

Any advice please?

Thanks

Caleb

it would depend on your state laws.... Contact the ttb and see what they say. In VA I think you have to either sell it to a distributor or sell it at the same address it's brewed. You can self distribute in VA but idk about Ohio. I'm sure you're going to have to go through the same kind of similar steps as if you were running a brewery. Good luck!

it would depend on your state laws.... Contact the ttb and see what they say. In VA I think you have to either sell it to a distributor or sell it at the same address it's brewed. You can self distribute in VA but idk about Ohio. I'm sure you're going to have to go through the same kind of similar steps as if you were running a brewery. Good luck!

I do know Ohio allows self distribution. I guess, part of my questioning, was how much I would be needing to act, like a "real" brewery.

But I need to just bite the bullet and call the TTB. But getting the other ball rolling is higher on my priority list atm.

Definitely going to look into it though!

Thanks

I would assume you would have to act like a normal brewery but I really have no idea. You'd still have to worry about the taxes, health codes, etc. Let us know what you find out from the TTB!

You will have to be a licensed brewery with the ttb. State and local laws would also have to be followed and that can vary. Which license exactly I am unsure, oh and you wouldn't be selling your "homebrew" anymore it would be commercial craft beer.

Like I said, this is definitely something on the back burner. Right now, I'm focused on getting all the paperwork for the state, feds, bank, business plan, etc taken care of....But I'm still interested down the road. Thanks again

Latest posts

Back