Going Nitro!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider123

Reaction score
I think I've read every thread here on nitro taps. Surprisingly there is not that much info to be found using them. I thought there would be a lot more.

So it's about $300 by the time you buy the faucet, shank, regulator, tank (filled) and all the line and fittings. Of course I had to go all SS and Taprite stuff. I would have gone Perlick if they made a nitro tap.

I have a British mild in the bucket that will be waiting to be the first volunteer in the new system.

I guess I have buyer's remorse. Somebody tell me it's all worth it.

Did I mention the Boddington's tap handle I've been eyeing?

Never had a beer with nitrogen before. What are the benefits?

Also i thought most people use nitrogen for stouts and porters...

Every style I've put on my nitro tap has been awesome. IPAs are surprisingly great too. Buyers remorse? I've considered switching all of my taps to nitro! Rest easy, you have chosen wisely.

Never had a beer with nitrogen before. What are the benefits?

Also i thought most people use nitrogen for stouts and porters...

Have you ever had a Guiness from a nitro tap? That is the attraction to it in a nutshell.

It was designed to simulate beer from a cask/beer engine. English, stouts, porters & the like are what are typically poured from a nitro tap.

Left Hand Brewing has patented a bottling method for nitro beers as well.

Every style I've put on my nitro tap has been awesome. IPAs are surprisingly great too. Buyers remorse? I've considered switching all of my taps to nitro! Rest easy, you have chosen wisely.

I agree although I went with the cheaper, Indian made "Krome" faucets & shanks.. Saved some bucks that way.. Amazon.

Brass with chrome finish..

Yes, I've heard that IPA's are popular on nitro. My SWMBO is more of a hop head. I've been made fun of for liking a more mild flavored beer and I have always appreciated a low carbed beer for most styles.

I had picked up a quad of Boddingtons and Old Speckled Hen cans. Liked the mouthfeel of the beer most and read that most styles do well on nitro. Most British beers have been somewhat popular for a while in addition to your stouts and porters. I am so looking forward to trying Biermunchers Black Pearl Porter on nitro!

This might be a shot in the dark, but does anyone here know if Boddington's make or did make ceramic tap handles in addition to wooden??

I friggin love nitro beer. But I didn't go anywhere near that much on my set up. I scored two 80lb argon cilinders on Craig's list for like $20. Some lady was selling them not really knowing what she had. So I got both and took one into airgas to do a straight swap for a 60lb beer gas cylinder with 70/30 (I went a bit smaller for size reasons). I still have the other tank to sell or swap for something else.

I scored a brand new taprite regulator on eBay for $20, and the guy happened to lived by me. He delivered it to me free.

I then bought the tap rite SS faucet brand new for something like $40 shipped.

Make the all grain left hand milk stout clone and put it on nitro. It'll make you happy with the decision. I'm brewing up 10 gallons this weekend for my buddies wedding in July. I'll probably lend my nitro set up for it.

Yup, big mistake. Better package it all up and send it me;)

I love miles and bitters and browns on beer gas

So the first brew on nitro will be this mild ale which I put together a few years ago. I picked up a 1st place in English ales at a local competition with it. Nitro might make it even better. I've used a little crystal before, but it really doesn't need it. You get more nuttiness than malty.

Marley's Mild (Yes, named after Jacob's ghost)

6 lbs Maris Otter 82.7%
8 oz Brown malt 7%
8 oz Victory malt 7%
4 oz Pale chocolate malt 3.3%

Hops
1 oz Fuggles @ 60 min AA 4.3%

Other
.5 tab Whirlfloc at 10 min

Wyeast 1469 (West Yorkshire)
Est Original Gravity: 1.038 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012

Mash @ 153F for 90 minutes

keg, chill, gelatin

I friggin love nitro beer. But I didn't go

I then bought the tap rite SS faucet brand new for something like $40 shipped.

Hey Silentdrinker - where did you find a Taprite SS Stout faucet for $40? I've been looking at these for a while and couldn't find anything less than $100.

Latest posts

Back