Going from partial mash to All Grain, be nice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well I am going to be taking the plunge and moving from mini-mash kits to going to the local brew shop for some grains.

I have read a whole bunch and watched a lot of videos on youtube. I will be converting a mash/tun container out of a cooler. Anyone have a suggestion of what works the best? I was thinking of a rectangle one, I found a 52 qt for $30 and seems like it should provide a lot of surface area to spread out the grains.

I was hoping to make a false bottom out of PVC pipe cut with a hacksaw.

I only have 1 brew pot (turkey fryer) and am wondering if this is a disadvantage when I will be doing taking the wort out after mashing. Any thoughts on this? I see a lot of people converting old kegs. Where are people getting these and how much?

I have the how to brew book on the way, but as of right now, I don't know all the terms, IBU, what the hydrometer numbers mean and such.

Anyways, I think I want to try a 1554 clone that looks like this:

Amount Item Type % or IBU

6.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 52.17 %
3.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 26.09 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.17 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.17 %
0.75 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 34.8 IBU "

There are no other directions of how long to mash etc...

Anyone with some experience here?

Thanks and again, I am new at the all grain area, but I can't wait and hope I don't screw up the first batch too much.

Well, in case you didn't know, the entirety of the "how to brew" book is available online for free at howtobrew.com - that's got more than enough info to get you started. You definitely ought to have a handle on the basics before you dive in - at least you need to get a handle on more of the terminology so you can understand other people's suggestions - 'how to brew' should easily get you to that point.

IMO, you are better off starting with a more tried-and-true recipe with better information available for your first AG batch... Ed's Haus Pale or one of BierMuncher's many recipes (Centennial blonde, for example) are very well known and have nice detailed recipes.

AG brewing isn't terribly hard - definitely not as scary as it may seem - but you do have to be prepared if anything goes wrong - totally missing your mash temperature, getting a stuck sparge, etc... There's nothing worse than getting frustrated and giving up on a batch, and then later realizing how easily you could have saved it if you had been prepared - been there, done that, it sucks.

Stainless steel braids also make nice manifolds for draining your wort (see Flyguy's thread in the DYI section - it's very informative).

A turkey fryer is just big enough to do a full boil, however eventually you might want something bigger. I use a turkey fryer (30qt) and am myself looking for something about 14 gallons to allow me to do 10 gallon batches. You'll be fine with the fryer, just watch it close for boil overs because there won't be lots of spare room in the kettle. The keggles (kettles made from kegs) are nice, but the trick is finding a legally decommissioned keg (there are lots of threads about this subject). When the time comes for me, I'm probably getting a large stock pot rather than a keggle.

+1 on what Funkenjaeger said - AG isn't that scary, just make sure to understand the process well, and try following a recipe the first time.

Well, in case you didn't know, the entirety of the "how to brew" book is available online for free at howtobrew.com - that's got more than enough info to get you started. You definitely ought to have a handle on the basics before you dive in - at least you need to get a handle on more of the terminology so you can understand other people's suggestions - 'how to brew' should easily get you to that point.

Thank you very much, I ordered it for a couple of reasons, it is the 3rd edition and has more information as well as pictures, plus it would just be nice not to have to turn on the computer to read it and I don't really want to print it all out.

IMO, you are better off starting with a more tried-and-true recipe with better information available for your first AG batch... Ed's Haus Pale or one of BierMuncher's many recipes (Centennial blonde, for example) are very well known and have nice detailed recipes.

That is a good idea about starting with an easy recipe, the problem is that I am looking for a winter brew and like a darker beer in the winter. If you know of a good porter or dark ale, I am all ears. I am not a huge stout fan though.

AG brewing isn't terribly hard - definitely not as scary as it may seem - but you do have to be prepared if anything goes wrong - totally missing your mash temperature, getting a stuck sparge, etc... There's nothing worse than getting frustrated and giving up on a batch, and then later realizing how easily you could have saved it if you had been prepared - been there, done that, it sucks.

I am hoping it is not that scary too, what are some of the key things I can prepare for and how would I fix a problem it is happened?

I have read a lot about efficiency and am wondering if I should just add a couple of #s of grain over what the recipe calls for just in case.

Stainless steel braids also make nice manifolds for draining your wort (see Flyguy's thread in the DYI section - it's very informative).

A turkey fryer is just big enough to do a full boil, however eventually you might want something bigger. I use a turkey fryer (30qt) and am myself looking for something about 14 gallons to allow me to do 10 gallon batches. You'll be fine with the fryer, just watch it close for boil overs because there won't be lots of spare room in the kettle. The keggles (kettles made from kegs) are nice, but the trick is finding a legally decommissioned keg (there are lots of threads about this subject). When the time comes for me, I'm probably getting a large stock pot rather than a keggle.

Thanks, now that Turkey day is approaching, many businesses will be selling turkey fryers as well as just large pots, so I am thinking I will pick up a larger kettle in the near future.

Well, I just finished my first AG home brew and did Edworts robust porter. Things went pretty good, there were no big problems that came up. I forgot to take pictures while I was actually brewing, but here is the carboy after I pitched the yeast and yes I have to use a shirt to cool it down, it is still 88 where I am at

Had a OG of 1.078 and efficiency of 85% :mug:

beer1.jpg

beer2.jpg

beer3.jpg

Latest posts

Back