Going electric and automating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monster Mash

Reaction score
I've decided to use electricity to heat the HLT and MT to save money on propane and also I want to wake up in the morning and have everything heated so I don't have to wait.

So far I've built the control panel and got it mounted but since Im brewing this weekend I won't have the elements put in the pots and get 220v to my back patio until next weekend.

This is what I have so far.....
dscn2994.jpg

dscn3006.jpg

On the back side I used spa timers to turn on the heaters at set times....
dscn3009.jpg

Too cool monster man!

I work with computers, but I know I'm too retarded to even attempt something like that. In addition to the 3 burners, I'd have a 4th flame coming from the control panel. ;)

i was browsing through your yahoo! photo album and I must say you do have a very nice setup. did you make those brewpots and, if so, what are they made from?

MM, looking at the posts referenced in ollllllllllllllllllo's post, what do you use for a fermenter? Making a 25 gal batch would be cool, but filling 5 carboys with the same stuff would seem to be inefficient compared to a larger fermentor of sorts. Also, do you find your hop utilization to be any different at those larger levels than we do in the 5 gallon world?

aseelye said:
MM, looking at the posts referenced in ollllllllllllllllllo's post, what do you use for a fermenter? Making a 25 gal batch would be cool, but filling 5 carboys with the same stuff would seem to be inefficient compared to a larger fermentor of sorts. Also, do you find your hop utilization to be any different at those larger levels than we do in the 5 gallon world?

I took the pool filter housings and welded 3gal corny tops on them. I had to fabricate long dip tubes in order to transfer with Co2....

Here is a pic of transfering from primary to secondary, when finished I remove the primary and just push the secondary into the fridge.

Secondary1.jpg

MM,
Have you found longer temperature probes for the temperature switches or are you going to use the sensors supplied with the switches and fabricate your own thermowells.

MM,

I have been thinking about electic as well. What are you using to heat the mash and what are you using to boil the wort.

I have trouble finding something that would work for the boil w/o having a high heat density (like water heater heating elements have)

Kai

I am making thermowells out of stainless tubing. The probes that come with the Love controllers are too big for corny dip tubes so I had to go buy new stainless tubing.

Im only going to use electric for the HLT and MT. It would take a lot of amps to get 28 gallons to boil and with the 30 amps the HLT and MT are pulling I would almost need a nuclear power plant to run this thing.....

Monster Mash said:
Im only going to use electric for the HLT and MT. It would take a lot of amps to get 28 gallons to boil and with the 30 amps the HLT and MT are pulling I would almost need a nuclear power plant to run this thing.....

You are right. I'm looking into building only a 10gal electric brewery. Based on the calculations I did so far, the power supply shouldn't be the problem.

Kai

Back