Going down to New Orleans any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBOGAN

Reaction score
Looking for some good beer joints and breweries in New Orleans and some good cajun slash creole food as well. I have family in Lake Charles and have visited a few times but I have not been to City since I was around 15. Hopefully some cajuns will chime in here because I am looking for some good boudin spots and gumbo as well. If it is a hole in the wall and has great food I do not care I just want the real deal and not some tourist trap frozen microwave meal. Looking to avoid hurricanes in drink and weather form.

This place had the absolute best oysters.I don't even like seafood and couldn't get enough.The Chargrilled oysters are a must.I could not stop eating them.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...yYLgBQ&usg=AFQjCNFJrO0azKueqTy1yyK9u8D4GjBNUw

Check out "Touchdown Jesus",its a "thing" down there
Avoid any haunted tour,complete waste of three hours of my life.Complete waste is an understatement
Check out the aboveground grave yards,kind of cool and fills the day when not drinking.
Bourbon street has a dirty all you can drink BMC THREEFERS feel writtin all over it.And I took full advantage of it.

Directly across the street from the Bourbon Orleans Hotel is a really great place called New Orleans Grapevine, great service and awesome food, but more of a wine bistro. In the French Quarter you could just randomly throw a baseball and hit a restaurant with good food. I didn't get a chance to visit any breweries, but I always drink Abita when I'm there. My personal favorite is the Restoration Ale. I'm sure some others will chime in with a better list of places, I just can't remember the names of a lot of them I've ate at.

NOLA Brewery is pretty sweet thier taproom has 16ish taps including some small batch/brett beers. I'd second ACME Oysters. I know you say you want to avoid hurricanes, but if your in the area Pat O'Brian's is really good and they usually have some sort of live music which is a plus. We stopped at the French Market (think farmer's market but with food counters) and went to "World Famous N’awlins Café and Spice Emporium" and had some gumbo and rotisserie chicken it was some of the best food we had all week. Dat Dog was a very good hot dog place with a lot of customization and a pretty good number of local taps.

Go to the Hotel Monteleone carousel bar and drink 2 beers for every rotation until you cant handle another.

There is a house in New Orleans, they call it the Rising Sun.

Not sure if I'd go though, it's been the ruin of many a poor boy.

NOLA Brewery is pretty sweet thier taproom has 16ish taps including some small batch/brett beers. I'd second ACME Oysters. I know you say you want to avoid hurricanes, but if your in the area Pat O'Brian's is really good and they usually have some sort of live music which is a plus. We stopped at the French Market (think farmer's market but with food counters) and went to "World Famous N’awlins Café and Spice Emporium" and had some gumbo and rotisserie chicken it was some of the best food we had all week. Dat Dog was a very good hot dog place with a lot of customization and a pretty good number of local taps.

Went to NOLA brewing our last day in New Orleans and was very impressed. They had a 100% brett pale ale that I could easily drink every day.

Latest posts

Back