go electric

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odorf

Guru of Nothing
Reaction score
going electric is the only way to go, ease of temp control, and much much safer

chris%20controler%20005.jpg

finished%20controler%20003.jpg

Yessir, electric is good.

I see the fan, but generally speaking putting the heat sink inside the box is not the best idea :)

It looks a lot like my first panel I built. A heavy metal monster. I later rebuilt it into a plastic toolbox and I still use that one today.

I also used the dryer cords in my first build. Man I hated those things. My whole system is mobile (I pack it away at the end of the day). Those dryer cords just aren't meant for that kind of service. That's gone now as well.

Sorry, I see I'm being a little critical. I commend you on your build. You're going to love it. But if you follow the same path I did, you'll probably end up changing things some day.

i just use a cheap fan speed controller and a kill-a-watt meter....lol, that thing looks hard core....

PID in manual mode with an SSR. Output percentage can be adjusted. 12 gal boils nicely at about 50% with a 5.5kw element.

Attachments

• 20180406_184514.jpg
    20180406_184514.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 107
PID in manual mode with an SSR. Output percentage can be adjusted. 12 gal boils nicely at about 50% with a 5.5kw element.
I'll be using 1x1600W element to heat a 5gal copper pot still, similar to my elec BIAB rig but only using one element instead of two; I'd like to use my diy brewing controller for the still too though instead of a PID it has an Auber EZ-Boil dspr310 which doesn't have a manual mode. Anyone know if the mash mode can be used for distilling? It has programmable temperatures and times for step mashing, but not output power, it automatically regulates that and I'm not sure what target temp I would set it to? Should I just build a second controller? Automation seems counterproductive with a pot still.

I am told old for getting twisted about critical comments
that is how youngsters act, and the reason they do not learn crap.
critical comments are great for learning.

cheers
True ,,do not get twisted,"Stay strong and Brew on", when brewday goes sideways the learning begins,,,i like the keg picture

Latest posts

Back