Gluten Free Nut Brown Berry Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5280brew

Reaction score
This is experimental as I want to get away from Sorghum, an awful plasticy taste. I hope I am using enough grain. Please critique were you see fit and thank you. I get the nut flavor from the Buckwheat. I am doing this for my wife who has Celiac Disease and cannot have Wheat, Barley or Rye...Gluten Free Diet but loves Beer.

Here are my ingredients

Buckwheat – 2 LBs , I am malting this myself

Rice Syrup – 1 LB.

Malto Dextrin – ½ LB for body

Juniper Berries – 1oz. - Last 15 Mins of boil

Citra Pellets Hops – 1oz.
-A High Alpha hop with smooth bittering and Floral, citrusy tropical fruit / leechee fruit aroma and flavor which i think will compliment the berries.

California Ale Yeast – White Labs

How big is the batch? It seems smaller than 5 gallons. 1 oz of juniper may be too much, depending on her taste for gin.

Depending on how sensitive she isyou might consider switching to a dry yeast, the liquid yeast come in a small amount of wort that would contain gluten.

When are you adding the hops? Again might be too much for such a low gravity beer.

Good luck, hope it turns out well.

The yeast isnt a concern has she has had several GF beers I have made using WL. The concern was actually the Malto Dextrin but the one I get is derived from Corn.

This will be 5 Gallons. I guess I will use a 1/2 oz of Juniper from your reaction. I was told1 oz for 5 Gallons. I have never brewed with it but I hear it is fairly strong.

I will keep the hops in for a full 60mins , should I get another Ounce?

I am thinking of adding rice flakes to the mash, maybe 6 lbs

You can always add more juniper if the flavor isn't strong enough for you/her liking.

The malted buckwheat won't have enough enzymes to convert that much rice. Even the highest enzyme malted barley can just make it to converting its own weight in adjuncts. Consider adding some amylase enzyme to ensure conversion.

For the hops I'd go light, just because your beer will proabably be thinner than a standard recipe. Maybe ~15-20 IBUs. You could certainly add some citra near the end, I think it would pair well with the juniper (citrus and gin being a classic combo).

Back