Gluten-Free in the Bay Area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igliashon

Reaction score
Cheers, mates--Igliashon Jones here, returning to homebrewing after a long absence. Long before my gluten intolerance, I got into homebrewing by way of Stephen Harrod Buhner's "Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers", hoping to craft some stimulating (and possibly mildly psychoactive) unhopped gruits. Well, my experimentation in those days was untempered by experience and I crafted a couple decent beers...and several terrible messes. Lemme tell you, 5 gallons of ineptly-crafted sage-wormwood-habanero rauchbier is tough to get through, especially when none of your friends are foolish enough to help you drink it!

I've since learned "less is more" and lost a lot of interest in increasing the psychoactivity of beer, but I'm still into gruits and the use of herbs in "normal" beer styles. However, now that I'm gluten-free and no longer have the luxury of enjoying any flavor of gourmet beer imaginable right off the shelf, my interest in mimicking some old favorites has much increased. Stouts, porters, and IPAs were my favorites when barley was still on my menu, and there isn't yet a commercial brewery supplying gluten-free versions of those styles. My goal for the coming year is to find good recipes for these styles, as well as to try more herbal beers (since I previously gave up on homebrewing before getting to try many of the recipes I was most curious about).

I look forward to sharing my experiences here, and letting y'all temper my wanton experimental tendencies with your wealth of experience.

-Igliashon

As a fellow gluten free beer lover, I look forward to seeing how your exploits go. I have my first gluten free beer in the secondary and is about ready to bottle. It would be great to be able to enjoy great tasting beer again. Good luck!

Hi mate!Just discovered I'm celiac..I'm from Italy. I'm totally addicted to beer philosophy life-style and I can't give up, I wan't give up. I never made beer at home but I'm a chemist :). As I understood, the only way is by sorghum malt but for me it's impossible to find. I'm thinking about rice and corn but I need some support before starting! Any suggestion?
Ciao

Hey gugu...one thing to remember is that all sugars ferment, and all grains can contribute flavor. If you can't find sorghum (and really, that's no big loss), then do what I do: mix a low-flavor sugar source (like rice syrup, corn sugar, cane sugar, etc.) with some flavorful grains, like buckwheat, millet, quinoa, or (my favorite) gluten-free oats. Feel free to sprout, malt, or toast the grains if you like, but don't expect to get much fermentable out of them. Unless you use amylase or can malt your own gluten-free oats, most GF grains--even when malted--don't have sufficient diastatic power to convert their starches to sugar in a mash.

I don't have loads of experience in this yet, but what I've been doing is experimenting with 3-gallon batches. Usually I add between 5 to 7 lbs of some sugar source, and 1 to 2 lbs of some toasted grain for flavor (my recipes are generally very high gravity). I usually include honey in the fermentables, as I feel it adds some sweetness and depth to what might otherwise be a very flat dry flavor profile.

Spend a lot of time reading the gluten-free forums here, it's where I get most of my ideas. You definitely don't need sorghum extract to brew gluten-free, and a lot of people think sorghum extract makes an unpalatable beer on its own. One good approach is to rely on styles that get most of their flavor from hops and/or other herbs and spices. It's hard to get a nice thick malty taste out of gluten-free ingredients, but this is such a new field that we need to experiment as much as possible, since the "limits" of what can be done stylistically with gluten-free ingredients have not yet been worked out.

Good luck, and please post any more questions you might have in the gluten-free forum here, since there are far more seasoned brewers here than myself.

Nice! Some hope for me then. I have to study hard but I'm sure we can!
Thank you Igliashon I'll let you know soon I hope!

The latest edition of BYO magazine had an article on gluten free brewing and this was mentioned as a good recipe resource. Good luck and welcome to HBT!

Latest posts

Back