Glorious Red Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyboy84

Reaction score
First, I would like to thank all the posters here for their contributions to this forum and my beers. I have been lurking around here since about 2011 and finally joined up recently. My brews have improved dramatically since I found this forum and I owe it to the information found in the search function of this forum.

I have recently brewed up a rye IPA that is so good, I have to share it with the world.

Extract Recipe

6lbs NB Gold Malt Syrup
3.15lbs NB Rye Malt Syrup
.25lbs Caramel Wheat
.25lbs Caramunich II
.25lbs Chocolate Rye

.5oz Nelson Sauvin 60min
.5oz Cascade 30min
.5oz Nelson Sauvin 20min
.5oz Cascade 15min
.5oz Cascade 10min
.5oz Cascade 5min
1oz Cascade @ Flameout
1oz Nelson Sauvin Keg hop 14 Days

US-05 Yeast

BrewTarget put it at 1.068 OG and 1.017 FG based on 150 degree steep. Mine ended up at 1.072 OG and 1.020 FG because I got distracted on brew day and let the steeping temps get to 162 plus.

Anyway, awesome beer. Pics to follow.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392777661.696634.jpg

I've named it Glorious Red Rye IPA because of it's deep red color and a friend's first words on tasting it said it was glorious.

Similar to something I have dry hopping right now.
I used (all grain) 2lb rye malt and 1 lb cararye along with 2 row and some crystal 10.
Hopped up with chinook to bitter and late hopped with almost half lb nelson and galaxy.

Yours looks good! How much nelson are you getting in the nose of this beer? I can't get enough nelson hops.

Similar to something I have dry hopping right now.
I used (all grain) 2lb rye malt and 1 lb cararye along with 2 row and some crystal 10.
Hopped up with chinook to bitter and late hopped with almost half lb nelson and galaxy.

Yours looks good! How much nelson are you getting in the nose of this beer? I can't get enough nelson hops.

The Nelson got drowned out a little by the Cascade. It has very good hop flavor and aroma, just not the lighter, fruitier flavor or scent that I smelled from the Nelson.

Back