Glass vs. "Better Bottle"(plastic) Carboys???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI - The water I dumped into the BB that I melted was 156F. I thought it would be alright. I knew you couldn't do it with glass, but I thought I was safe with a BB.

Just make sure that the wort or water is cool before putting it in the BB. Don't make the same mistake as I did.

Does anyone have a preference for the ported BBs? I got mine ported because I liked using the spigots on my Mr Beer containers.

illnastyimpreza said:
good thread.....

I wonder if the "plastic" bottle has a possiblity of leaving a plasticy taste in your beer???
I just cracked my first better bottle batch (one of my house beers) and it doesn't taste any different.

keep in mind that most water cooler water botlles are polycarbonate not pet. I personally use them when I need to and have had NO problems with oxidation.

To each their own.

*silently wondering how many more times the "water bottles as secondaries" question will arise this year*

:D

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
keep in mind that most water cooler water botlles are polycarbonate not pet. I personally use them when I need to and have had NO problems with oxidation.

To each their own.

*silently wondering how many more times the "water bottles as secondaries" question will arise this year*

:D

Right. And the polys are marked with a the "recyclable" 7 at the bottom. The ones that are PET are marked with 1s. So you've used the poly or the pet water bottles with no oxy issues? I just wonder how much of it is marketing by better bottle or if the formulation is vastly different from what is used for the water bottles.

on a side note, poly carbonate can withstand high temperatures. Though, as with any plastic, higher temps may result in plastic chemicals leaching from the plastic.

Ploycarbonate has a melting point of about 310 deg F though..

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate
One point of agreement among those studying polycarbonate water and food storage containers may be that using sodium hypochlorite bleach and other alkali cleaners to clean polycarbonate is not recommended, as they catalyze the release of the Bisphenol-A. The tendency of polycarbonate to release bisphenol A was discovered after a lab tech used strong cleaners on polycarbonate lab containers. Endocrine disruption later observed on lab rats was traced to exposure from the cleaned containers.

Though Nalgene bottles are used by many health freaks and are made of the same stuff. :)

Back