Glass carboy "crack"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodes

Reaction score
Hi,
I was just cleaning my new glass carboy and found something like "cracks". It looks like that I'm not gonna use them, don't want to get hurt if they break-up. But anyone knows it it is real cracks or some sort of defect? I'm attaching the photos.

The first three images is the 1. "crack", the last image is the bottom "crack".

Thanks

P8120368.JPG

P8120374.JPG

P8120378.JPG

P8120366.JPG

I can't return it due some complications, unfortunately:-/

Yes on the first picture it looks like crack, but it isn't :) It is something like seam (have read about it, it some kind of minor defect which name I don't know). If you mean by blemish some sort of scratches, then it is not. It looks like some kind of scar or what.

I found something like that on mine, last time I cleaned it. I retired the carboy since I hadn't seen anything like that in the previous times I used it.

I can't return it due some complications, unfortunately:-/

What? Did it "fall off the truck"?

I agree with Rekoob, but probably would still throw it out to be safe. Hard to tell without seeing it in person.

The pictures and stories about glass carboys scare the hell out of me, but I am also concerned with the scratchability of better bottles (just bought one, we'll see).

I saw these on a post, and bought two. http://www.carboy.net/ The thought that if I did drop a carboy it wouldn't put me in the hospital was my key reasoning, and they're not expensive.

Nonetheless, if I saw a stress fracture or crack of any type, I'd be recycling that carboy. I would hate to lose a batch.

The pictures and stories about glass carboys scare the hell out of me, but I am also concerned with the scratchability of better bottles (just bought one, we'll see).

I saw these on a post, and bought two. http://www.carboy.net/ The thought that if I did drop a carboy it wouldn't put me in the hospital was my key reasoning, and they're not expensive.

Nonetheless, if I saw a stress fracture or crack of any type, I'd be recycling that carboy. I would hate to lose a batch.

Those are for carrying. IMO if they are not made out of Kevlar I would not trust them any more than the bottle itself. I have worked with cloth and from the looks of that I would not trust those handles. The webbing should go all the way around and under the carboy. VERY CAREFUL....

I have been using Better Bottles for over 3 years. If you don't abuse them you will not have any problems with scratches. Oxyclean soak and swirl a washcloth - clean with no scratches. Do Not use a carboy brush - ever!

The first looks like a crack on the right side above the "seam" I would not trust that one at all. The others might be extra glass on the surface. Personally I would not own a glass carboy. Anyway - be careful.

Those are for carrying. IMO if they are not made out of Kevlar I would not trust them any more than the bottle itself. I have worked with cloth and from the looks of that I would not trust those handles. The webbing should go all the way around and under the carboy. VERY CAREFUL....

I have been using Better Bottles for over 3 years. If you don't abuse them you will not have any problems with scratches. Oxyclean soak and swirl a washcloth - clean with no scratches. Do Not use a carboy brush - ever!

The first looks like a crack on the right side above the "seam" I would not trust that one at all. The others might be extra glass on the surface. Personally I would not own a glass carboy. Anyway - be careful.

This video convinced me: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7qqCcD0e9U[/ame] I plan to use this as a cover, and then my trusty brewhauler, I think the netting is superior on them. Again, it's cheap, I have brewed for years and never come close to an accident, but anything can happen.

This video convinced me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7qqCcD0e9U I plan to use this as a cover, and then my trusty brewhauler, I think the netting is superior on them. Again, it's cheap, I have brewed for years and never come close to an accident, but anything can happen.

Empty carboy.. I'd like to take a close look at the cover on the bottom and back. I still would not trust it.

Beside that you are likely to have the accident when washing or when the carboy is not in the cover.....

This video convinced me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7qqCcD0e9U I plan to use this as a cover, and then my trusty brewhauler, I think the netting is superior on them. Again, it's cheap, I have brewed for years and never come close to an accident, but anything can happen.

Wow. I might have to pick one or two of those up myself...

Empty carboy.. I'd like to take a close look at the cover on the bottom and back. I still would not trust it.

Beside that you are likely to have the accident when washing or when the carboy is not in the cover.....

I agree to that, I made a carboy washer out of a bucket, pump, and some copper tubing. Works awesome.

I don't trust this, clearly a full carboy is more weight than the empty the video shows. But I think it can't hurt, and while I never expect to drop a carboy, I think it would reduce the chance of shattered glass flying my direction.

Who knows, maybe after some time with my better bottle, I'll convert over- I just wish they came > 6G. I use a blowoff, but with many of my big beer fermentations the 6G would definitely overflow, 6.5G sometimes that doesn't happen.

I agree to that, I made a carboy washer out of a bucket, pump, and some copper tubing. Works awesome.

I don't trust this, clearly a full carboy is more weight than the empty the video shows. But I think it can't hurt, and while I never expect to drop a carboy, I think it would reduce the chance of shattered glass flying my direction.

Who knows, maybe after some time with my better bottle, I'll convert over- I just wish they came > 6G. I use a blowoff, but with many of my big beer fermentations the 6G would definitely overflow, 6.5G sometimes that doesn't happen.

With my 6 gallon better bottles I always use a blow off tube. Some blow and some don't. I have not seen any consistency on type of beer, or yeast used. Big beers - some blow off, others don't. Small beers - some blow off, others don't. The same yeast - some blow off, others don't?????

I also would like a 6.5 or 7 gallon one. But the 5 I already own will be in service for a long time.

Thanks for all replies.

What? Did it "fall off the truck"?
No, not from truck :) But from the plane - just kidding:). I don't want to discuss the reasons here, but the returning it is out of the question.

About the better bottles, I don't like plastic, to be honest. And even then they're aren't sell here so I would need to buy it from ebay or overseas with some fine delivery price :) I was thinking about some SS fermentors but they are all so expensive. Maybe using cornie keg?

Also, using some kind of cover for the carboy (this one comes in the plastic cover so it has some protection) would not solve the problem because it could break any time and the wort that will come out of it could create also a lot of problems.

Reasons why you cannot return it sound super sketchy but you shouldn't use those anymore. Hopefully they were cheap. Time to procure more from the plane. ;)

It wasn't super cheap, but should I risk my health from some 20 bucks? Pretty sure I won't. Maybe will use it for some 2 L starters :)

It wasn't super cheap, but should I risk my health from some 20 bucks? Pretty sure I won't. Maybe will use it for some 2 L starters :)

I was just saying that it was odd that you don't want to explain where it came from so if you got some sort of deal, then hopefully it was a good deal.

Either way, try to buy a replacement from a seller that offers refunds/exchanges. No sense in tossing money down the drain.

No, I don't live in the country where homebrewing is illeg... I'll be back in a minute, someone is at the door.

Kidding aside, maybe I'll look for some other carboys or for some SS fermentors (but don't want this conicals; I've seen some simple SS pot-like fermentors on the ebay that could fit in my fermentation chamber).

FWIW I have 9 carboys and most of them have blemishes like in your pictures. They've been there since I bought them 6 or 7 years ago. I believe they are caused by scratches or imperfections in the molds.

You can get a 6.5 Gallon PLASTIC Big Mouth Bubbler.

No, I don't live in the country where homebrewing is illeg... I'll be back in a minute, someone is at the door.

Kidding aside, maybe I'll look for some other carboys or for some SS fermentors (but don't want this conicals; I've seen some simple SS pot-like fermentors on the ebay that could fit in my fermentation chamber).

There's a thread on here somewhere pointing to a kickstarter for a stainless steel "milk can" style fermenter. I'm in for one myself. Expected delivery date any time now. :)

Back