Girl Scout cookie moms can be mentally ill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclman

I Sell Koalas
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had no idea before my daughter got involved with this stuff how much bs it could entail. First, moms arguing over how the troop bought too many cookies, how it didn't buy enough cookies...arguing over which cookies the troop got too many of, which they didn't get enough of...

Now, my daughter has been standing outside the grocery (amongst other businesses) selling cookies, a time honored tradition. One mother came buy, took a picture from a very oblique angle, then showed the picture to the regional group, trying to say the girls were in front of the liquor store next door (a big no no), and demanding her troop be punished.

Today, for no good reason, another woman took pictures of the girls as she trolled by in her car, no idea why. When one of the mothers went to confront her, she hightailed it out of the parking lot.

Taking covert pictures of little girls, trying to turn them in for something they weren't even doing, what kind of sickness!

I told my wife, next year, selling some cookies door to door, that's it. Who knows what these weirdos are doing wanting a picture of my 9yo girl. :(

I've herd stories like this about cookie sales. For this reason we have decided to have our girl in 4H and not girl scouts.

GSC are a terrible idea. The troop gets very little of the money they raise.

If you want to support a local GS troop, donate money directly to them.

GSC are a terrible idea. The troop gets very little of the money they raise.

If you want to support a local GS troop, donate money directly to them.

This is true. However, GSC isn't just for raising funds. It's a way to teach girls about selling and interacting with others.

Our girls enjoyed GS, but there was a bit too much "mom stuff" going on. It wasn't very easy to filter that out and focus on the fun and learning. All in all, though it was mostly a good time for them and worth the effort.

This is true. However, GSC isn't just for raising funds. It's a way to teach girls about selling and interacting with others.

I totally agree, this is one of the reasons why I want her in GS. I am a professional salesperson, and learning to walk up to a stranger, look them in the eye, and ask them to buy something is an important life tool, confidence with people is an important skill. As a salesperson, it is amazing how many people can't simply look you in the eye while they shake your hand.

And 75% of the money goes to the local troop, which isn't too bad.

But man, the bs is virtually unbearable. I get enough of that at work. :mug:

And 75% of the money goes to the local troop, which isn't too bad.

It's only 15 or 16% percent to the troop. The bulk of the money goes to the area council.

My daughter sold A LOT of GS cookies last year and the troop may very little off of the sales. This year we aren't putting as much effort into it.

surprised your not just going to work with the form and taking orders for your daughter. that seems like what everyone does in the offices i've worked at.

Last year we went door-to-door and sold a ton. I only sold a few boxes at the office to my team members. I didn't want to leave the form out in the coffee bar. One person that works on my floor is an actual cookie mom for her daughters' troop and she doesn't put her order forms in the coffee bar. I think it's somewhat frowned upon. I know I have friends who aren't allowed to solicit for anything, including GS cookies, at their offices.

When the cookies came in last year it was hell to deliver them all. That's also a big part of why we put less effort in this year. We still sold enough to be a pain to deal with.

Now, my daughter has been standing outside the grocery (amongst other businesses) selling cookies, a time honored tradition. One mother came buy, took a picture from a very oblique angle, then showed the picture to the regional group, trying to say the girls were in front of the liquor store next door (a big no no), and demanding her troop be punished.
Thought they had moved on to selling them in front of dispensaries in CO so consumers can buy GSC inside and out.

Thought they had moved on to selling them in front of dispensaries in CO so consumers can buy GSC inside and out.

I read that story where everyone was giving the girls crap for selling cookies outside of a pot club. What they called bad taste I call brilliant marketing and knowing your target customer. I would scarf a whole box of GSC when I used to get baked way back when.

Dude,

You could sell out in 1 hour. The pot store would love you. The customers would love you. The girl scouts would be the envy of the entire troop.

They'd beg you to come back.

I would eat those cookies until my stomach exploded. I almost did................ but I ran outta cookies.

P.S. Frozen thin mints are the bomb.

Winning

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/20/girl-scout-cookies-marijuana_n_4825080.html

Edit: I can't STAND seeing them outside stores. Go walk door to door and sell them. Don't have mom drive you to a store, setup a table, and beg for money. I feel the same way about bot scouts. What are they learning? Nothing. In the 21st century when you don't accept a debit card and you only take cash you have to understand I literally don't have cash, I don't appreciate you being at every entrance, and I really don't care you spent ONE "entire" weekend "selling cookies" outside in a shaded area with arable and chairs. No you sat outside a store bothering people from 10-3 the. You went home. Wake up at sunrise and go around door to door to learn how hard sales really is. I feel the same way about Boy Scouts and their popcorn.

I had no idea before my daughter got involved with this stuff how much bs it could entail. First, moms arguing over how the troop bought too many cookies, how it didn't buy enough cookies...arguing over which cookies the troop got too many of, which they didn't get enough of...

Today, for no good reason, another woman took pictures of the girls as she trolled by in her car, no idea why. When one of the mothers went to confront her, she hightailed it out of the parking lot.

Taking covert pictures of little girls, trying to turn them in for something they weren't even doing, what kind of sickness!

I told my wife, next year, selling some cookies door to door, that's it. Who knows what these weirdos are doing wanting a picture of my 9yo girl. :(

Are you trying to sell cookies? Alright I'll buy some..DAMN IT! Do you ship? LOL

I am serious man those Girl Scout MOMS are flipping CRA CRA!

Cheers
Jay

If you want to ruin a fun activity, just get parents involved (especially soccer moms and ex-athlete dads). They can ruin Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, Little League Baseball, etc... They make it all about them.

If you want to ruin a fun activity, just get parents involved (especially soccer moms and ex-athlete dads). They can ruin Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, Little League Baseball, etc... They make it all about them.

And they teach terrible lessons in the process.

Back