Ginger Mead/Cyser/Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flywheel

Reaction score
Hi everyone-

I am looking for feedback on a recipie I'll be trying soon. I'm not sure what yeast to use, or if this is quite enough fermentables.

Ammount per gallon:
  • 1 gal unfiltered apple cider (the one I'll use says 24g sugar per 8 oz, so ~384g sugar?)
  • 1 (12 oz) can 100% apple juice concentrate (24g sugar per 2 oz, so ~144g sugar?)
  • 8oz shredded fresh ginger root I assume negligible sugar?)
  • 4oz honey (can I assume ~84g sugar? ~75% fermentable)
  • 4oz chopped organic white raisins (~66g sugar, as I can guess by "sugar" on the packanging?)
  • 1 banana (~15g sugar?)
  • juice from 2 limes (negligiblesugar? ....should this be added at secondary?)
By reading lables, etc, looks to be about 693g of sugar per gallon. But, I realize that may not work out correctly, and I plan on taking SG, etc, but I'm trying to 1) see if this will work out and 2) figure out a yeast top use.

I would like to make something very gingery and fairly appely (hence the concentrate), and not very sweet (dry to off dry). I'm looking for a sipping drink, fairly high ABV (12-15) - I think I need more fermentables?, very spicey ginger upfront with a touch of sweetness and fuller bodied (hence the banana and raisins).

Any guess on what OG this recipie might work out to be?

I need to pick a yeast that'll dry it out comepletly, or a yeast that will stop fermenting at it's lmiit. I don't add sulfates, etc. If it goes comepletly dry, I can always back sweeten if I need to with apple juide concentrate prior to serving.

Do I need to add more sugars? Is this a bad looking combo?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Also, I have used this amount of ginger before in unfermented beverages and it's spicey, very tastey, but spicey. A nice fall/winter warning drink. I thought it would make a great mead/cyser/cider/melomel/pyment....

I plan on making a 1 gallon batch of this in a couple weeks. I think my OG will be lower, running some calulations, I think this will work out to be 1.070, which is a bit low. But, maybe my best rout is to put this together, then add table sugar to get it to the correct OG. I'm thinking I'll want to get it to 1.100, give or take.

I plan on making a 1 gallon batch of this in a couple weeks. I think my OG will be lower, running some calulations, I think this will work out to be 1.070, which is a bit low. But, maybe my best rout is to put this together, then add table sugar to get it to the correct OG. I'm thinking I'll want to get it to 1.100, give or take.
Why don't you feed it honey at rackings. Then you could make it as sweet.as you want

Latest posts

Back